Salary Grade: 20
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Provides general management, supervision, and professional direction to a comprehensive campus operations organization that provides facilities planning; space administration; architectural, and engineering; construction management; facilities maintenance and repair; renovations; utilities generation and distribution; emergency response; environmental health and safety; custodial services, campus landscape, and other maintenance services to the University campus.
2. Establishes and implements short- and long-range organizational goals, objectives, policies, and operating procedures; monitors and evaluates program effectiveness; effects changes required for improvement.
3. Develops and manages annual budgets for the organization and performs periodic cost and productivity analyses.
4. Recommends and participates in the development of university policies and procedures; serves on university planning and policy-making committees.
5. Represents the University to various institutional divisions as well as externally to media, government agencies, funding agencies, students, and/or the general public/local community.
6. Advises the University administration on the funding needs to adequately maintain the physical facilities of the institution, and assists the administration in the allocation of fiscal resources for various capital improvement and maintenance projects on the campuses.
7. Represents the Associate Vice President of for Administration as assigned.
8. Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor’s degree
Focus: Business, management, engineering, architecture or a related field
Experience: 7 years - Strong record of successful experience in an applicable field.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Strategic and operational understanding of government procedures and processes at the National, State, and local levels.
• Thorough knowledge of facilities planning, design and construction; maintenance management; personnel management training; and financial management
• Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to deal credibly and effectively with senior institutional leadership.
• Highly developed verbal and written communication skills and the ability to present effectively to small and large groups.
• Skill in examining and re-engineering operations and procedures, formulating policy, and developing and implementing new strategies and procedures.
• Project management and leadership skills.
• Ability to foster a cooperative work environment.
• Employee development and performance skills.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
• No unusual physical requirements. Requires limited lifting of files and records. Work may be performed inside and outside.
• Frequent- External imposed deadlines; set and revised beyond one's control; interruptions influence priorities; difficult to anticipate nature or volume of work with certainty beyond a few days; meeting of deadlines and coordination of unrelated activities are key to position; involves conflict-resolution or similar interactions involving emotional issues or stress on a regular basis.
• Job frequently requires walking, sitting, reaching, talking, hearing, handling objects with hands.
• Vision requirements: Ability to see information in print and/or electronically.
• Involves frequent night and weekend work.
Instructions for Applying:
Applicants must apply online and attach a cover letter and resume that includes the complete contact information for at least three references.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.