Salary Grade: HVC-1
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
This position is located at the Delta Research and Extension Center in Stoneville, MS.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
In addition provides support for the entire staff with repairs and upkeep of buildings, equipment and grounds.
1. Repair, maintain, alter, install and operate air delivery equipment, support components, heating and ventilating units which include heating and cooling coils, preheaters and dampers, and associated control systems.
2. Work on traditional and computerized control systems and components associated with HVAC delivery systems.
3. Work on water treatment for various types of closed and open systems.
4. Cut, thread, and bend pipe, using hacksaw, pipe cutters, cutting torch, threading machine, and pipe bending machine.
5. Check assigned buildings and units' heating and refrigeration systems daily.
6. Operate, maintain, alter, and install mechanical refrigeration systems.
7. Inspect, install, routine troubleshooting and repair piping fixtures and equipment including hand valves, relief valves, pressure-reducing valves, lift pumps, vacuum pumps, circulating pumps, sump pumps, air compressors, hot water heaters and expansion joints.
8. Lubricate fans, motors, and pumps, change filters and belts, and adjust controls.
9. Test equipment for leaks and make corrections, where necessary.
10. Check gauges and make inspections for preventive maintenance on all HVAC equipment.
11. Monitors and cleans boiler system to maintain proper water temperature.
12. Erect and work from ladders, scaffolding, boom trucks, and similar devices.
13. Recommend requisition materials and parts.
14. Assist with or interpret blueprints, sketches, and job specifications.
15. Prepare as built drawings of mechanical systems, document job time and materials used.
16. Be knowledgeable of and comply with all safety and mechanical codes.
17. Perform related duties as assigned.
1. High school diploma or equivalent.
2. One year experience in HVAC practices.
3. Valid driver's license.
1. Additional course work in electrical/HVAC/plumbing.
2. Certificate or license in the above fields.
3. Related experience beyond the minimum requirements.
4. Previous framing experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. Plumbing installations, maintenance, and repair skills.
2. Ability to troubleshoot and repair minor electrical problems, and to perform routine, minor electrical installations. Knowledge of 3 phase voltage.
3. Knowledge of grounds maintenance procedures, and equipment.
4. Basic carpentry and painting skills.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
1. Work involves considerable exposure to unusual elements, such as extreme temperatures.
2. Considerable physical activity. Requires heavy physical work; climbing ladders, heavy lifting, pushing or pulling required of objects up to 70 pounds.
3. Must be willing to be called in after hours for emergency work if necessary.
4. Ability to exercise tact and discretion with customers and the public, including reasonable standards of personal appearance.
Instructions for Applying:
All applicants must apply online at https://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu.
Position is contingent upon continued availability of funding.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.