Salary Grade: 17
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
The Department of Housing and Residence Life strives to create a "home away from home" where students are individually and collectively challenged and supported in the journey to become mature, contributing citizens in a global community.
In support of the mission of Mississippi State University and the Division of Student Affairs, the Department of Housing and Residence Life cultivates an on-campus environment that promotes student success, engages students through intentional interactions, and challenges them to learn and grow beyond the classroom.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The following examples are intended as illustrations only of the various types of duties assigned in positions allocated to this classification. The absence of specific statements of duties does not exclude those tasks from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment of the position.
1. Directly oversees the functional areas of maintenance, custodial services, security systems, project management, and inventory and property control.
2. In conjunction with the departmental leadership team, develop and implement the departmental facilities master plan
3. Directly supervise maintenance and custodial supervisors, projects coordinator, support staff, IT Coordinator (including security systems) and inventory and property control coordinator. Indirectly supervise maintenance and custodial staff workers, including custodians, trades, and student workers of over 60 full-time staff members
4. Support departmental staff in coordinating the operation of on-campus residence halls and apartments
5. Develop, administer, and maintain a strategic plan for construction, major replacement, repair, equipment, and renovation projects. Assist in the management of plant fund accounts for capital improvements
6. Serve as the departmental liaison with campus services, facilities, maintenance, environmental health and safety, crisis/emergency management, property control, parking services and outside agencies as needed
7. In conjunction with departmental leadership, develop and administer outside service contracts (i.e., services such as painting, pest control, cleaning, minor construction, etc.)
8. Oversee annual inventory and property control audits on local, state, and federal levels
9. Manage departmental fleet manage, maintaining vehicles and purchasing additional vehicles and equipment when needed
10. Administer facets of daily operations ensuring compliance with department, University, state, and federal laws, policies, and regulations.
11. Implement and maintain facilities management database applications and management systems
12. Perform other related duties as assigned
Bachelor’s degree in Administration, Business, Building Science, Construction Science or a related field
7 years experience related to duties described above
Working knowledge of computer applications (including Microsoft Office suite and facilities management systems)
Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
• Master’s degree in Administration, Business, Engineering, Information Technology, Building and Construction Science or a related field
• Ten years of related experience
• Experience with student housing programs
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. Thorough knowledge of maintenance and custodial services, security systems, business, inventory management, and safety practices
2. Work with a diversity of experience and knowledge of services exhibiting excellent communication skills
3. Knowledge of business management practices, personnel management, planning, problem solving, and conflict resolution are essential
4. Skill in organizing resources and establishing priorities
5. Ability to foster a cooperative work environment
6. Knowledge of federal, state and local safety regulations, protocols, and/or procedures
7. Ability to develop, plan, and implement short- and long-range goals
8. Employee development and performance management skills
9. Ability to direct multi-department technical and administrative staff
10. Skill in the use of personal computers and related software applications
11. Ability to analyze services, resources, employee tasks and budgetary expenditures for compliance with approved budget
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
• May be called upon to stand, walk, bend, squat, crawl, climb stairs and ladders, and lift up to 30 pounds occasionally.
• Externally imposed deadlines, set or revised on short notice, frequent shifts in priority, numerous interruptions requiring immediate attention, unusual pressure on a daily basis due to accountability for success for major projects or areas of operation.
• Job frequently requires sitting, reaching, talking, hearing, and relationship building with outside departments.
• Vision requirements: Ability to see information in print and/or electronically.
• Respond to after-hours/night/weekend facilities emergencies
Instructions for Applying:
Applications must be submitted through the Human Resources Management Website at http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu by completing the online application and submitting a cover letter, resume, and three references.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.