Salary Grade: AME-2
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Diagnoses, services, maintains/repairs and overhauls vehicles, equipment, and their component parts using hand tools, power tools, and testing equipment.
2. Work on a wide range of systems and components including mechanical, electrical, fuel injection, emission control, brake, ABS, air conditioning, and hydraulic systems, and vehicle or equipment engines, transmissions, differentials, glass, and body components.
3. Work with jacks, lifts, hoists, stands, and similar devices.
4. Overhauls, adjusts, and tunes diesel and gasoline engines; grinds valves; and overhauls transmissions.
5. Rebuilds and replaces tractor undercarriages; changes tracks, rollers, and frames.
6. Repairs and replaces pistons, crankshafts, bearings, clutches, and hydraulic drivers.
7. Diagnose problems, implement solutions, and determine type and quality of parts, materials, and hardware to be used.
8. Interpret service and overhaul manuals, specifications, blueprints, diagrams, procedures, and technical bulletins.
9. Recommend and order items needed for purchase.
10. Document job time and materials used.
11. Perform related duties as assigned.
Applied advance skills in area of specialization. Adapts procedures, techniques, tools, material and/or equipment to meet special needs. Equivalent to journeymen level.
High School Diploma or equivalent. 3-5 years experience. 1 year at the preceding level or equivalent.
Experience in mechanical engine repair.
Any equivalent combination of related experience and/or education approved by the Department of Human Resources Management.
Certification or Licensure Requirements:
Valid Driver's License
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Duties and tasks varied and complex. Resolves most questions and problems and refers on the most complex issues to higher levels.
Works under minimal supervision. May assist in training and checking the work of lower level employees.
High School diploma or equivalent plus 3-5 years. Equivalent to an journeyman level in of specialization. Experience must include at least 3-5 years at the preceding level or equivalent.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
Frequent, heavy, or intense physical requirements combined with exposure to a number of disagreeable elements, such as heat, cold, noise, dust, dirt, and chemicals. Constant precautions required.
Routine deadlines; usually sufficient lead time; variance in work volume seasonal and predictable; priorities can be anticipated; some interruptions are present; travel or other inconveniences have advance notice; involves occasional exposure to demands and pressures from persons other than immediate supervisor.
Job frequently requires standing, walking, reaching, climbing or balancing, talking, hearing, handling objects with hands, and lifting up to 50 pounds.
Job occasionally requires sitting, stooping/kneeling/crouching/crawling, and lifting more than 100 pounds.
Vision requirements: Ability to see information in print and/or electronically.
Instructions for Applying:
All interested Applicants must apply online at www.msujobs.msstate.edu and complete a Support Staff Application.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.