Associate Director, Office of Institutional Diversity and Inclusion
Job no: 499885
Position type: Full-Time 12-Month
Department: 391301 - Institutional Diversity & Inclusion
Location: Main Campus - Starkville, MS
Position Open Date:
The Associate Director for Diversity and Inclusion (ADD&I) provides collaborative leadership for the University’s Office of Institutional Diversity & Inclusion. The ADD&I is the general subject matter expert in the area of diversity and inclusion and will provide strategic advice and counsel based on well-designed and defined assessment methods and data to the Assistant Vice President & senior University leadership and others on diversity and inclusion related matters including emerging trends and best practices. He/she will advise and work with the Assistant Vice President on the creation, direction and implementation of diversity activities and outreach programs that support the university's strategic goals. The ADD&I will lead efforts to educate the university community by developing curricula, leading classes, workshops and other activities including support for organizational and leadership development and work in conjunction with others in the university to facilitate these services.
Salary Grade: 16
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
The Office of Institutional Diversity and Inclusion is committed to developing services, programs, and initiatives that foster successful recruitment and retention of faculty, staff, and students from diverse and under-represented groups. To this end, the Office strives to develop partnerships within communities to promote diversity which is an essential element of the mission of the University. Furthermore, the Office provides leadership and support toward developing a comprehensive and institution-wide approach to achieving and sustaining a diverse and pluralistic community of students, faculty, and staff.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Promote and enhance cultural competence, diversity, inclusive excellence, and equity across the University spectrum.
- Develop and oversee implementation of early and ongoing quantitative and qualitative assessment of diversity programs.
- Supervise departmental staff including the Coordinator for Diversity Initiatives and office administrative staff.
- Utilize assessment to develop best practices in diversity and inclusion that can be broadly circulated in publications and presentations.
- Work in conjunction with faculty community to support inclusive teaching and learning practices.
- Serve as liaison and collaborator with university committees/commissions engaged in diversity and inclusion efforts.
- Advocate for underrepresented and marginalized communities at the institution.
- Provide ongoing assistance to the Assistant Vice President for Multicultural Affairs on special projects and other administrative initiatives related to the Diversity Strategic Plan.
- Assist in devising and submitting written proposals to granting agencies to advance the university’s diversity and inclusion initiatives.
- Assists in program planning and development.
- Performs related duties as required.
Field/discipline related to the position
2-4 years of supervisory experience
2-4 years of experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified
A commitment to an inclusive and diverse campus environment
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Advanced knowledge of issues affecting diverse populations.
- Advanced cultural sensitivity and humility across a spectrum of diversity broadly defined.
- Advanced technical skills with internal and external databases including processing and analyses of quantitative information.
- Ability to lead high initiatives from conception to implementation.
- Ability to produce reports and publications about diversity program innovations and impact.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent presentation skills.
- Ability to oversee and direct staff.
- Demonstrated strong commitment to enhancing diversity and inclusion understanding at the university.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
- No unusual physical requirements. Requires limited lifting of files and records and nearly all work is performed in a comfortable indoor facility.
- Frequent- External imposed deadlines; set and revised beyond one’s control; interruptions influence priorities; difficulty to anticipate nature or volume of work with certainty beyond a few days; meeting of deadlines and coordination of unrelated activities are key to position; involves conflict-resolution or similar interactions involving emotion issues or stress on a regular basis.
- Job frequently requires walking, sitting, reaching, talking, hearing, handling objects with hands.
- Ability to occasionally work weekends and long hours.
Instructions for Applying:
Apply and submit cover letter and resume at www.jobs.msstate.edu.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.
Advertised: Central Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend