The overall purpose of the editor at the Research and Curriculum Unit (RCU) is to assist RCU staff in formatting, editing, and writing as well as ensuring the accuracy and consistency of all internal and disseminated materials. This position is on the Communication, Research, and Evaluation (CRE) team, and the candidate will work closely with these team members as well as staff in other departments at the RCU.
The candidate will provide writing and editing expertise in the development and evaluation of career and technical education curricula; secondary, special education, professional learning, and school improvement materials; education promotional collateral, including magazines and toolkits; and technical and research reports. He or she also will write as needed for various publications such as newsletters, annual reports, educational campaigns, brochures, websites, research briefs, and other media.
Salary Grade: 14
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The following examples are intended as illustrations only of the various types of duties assigned to this position. The absence of specific statements of duties does not exclude those tasks from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment of the position.
• Edit educational materials used in career and technical education, secondary education, special education, and school improvement with the goal of benefitting students and teachers in Mississippi high schools and community colleges.
• Maintain the RCU Style Guide and in-house templates, ensuring that all documents adhere to appropriate style conventions.
• Edit curricula, reports, grant proposals, and other documents.
• Write promotional collateral, including content for print and electronic publications and websites.
• Write feature stories, collect photography, and assist with the editing for two magazines related to best practices in secondary education and career and technical education.
• Work closely with the marketing and communications manager, graphic designer, managing editor, and others to make decisions on layout and professional appearance.
• Lead training and professional development on best practices related to communication topics.
• Perform all other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree in English, communications, or related field
Master’s degree in English, communications, or related field
At least two years of work experience related to the duties and responsibilities listed in the job description
Digital media experience
Photography and/or layout experience
Knowledge of American Psychological Association and Chicago writing styles
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Demonstrated excellence in oral and written communication
Attention to detail
Excellent work ethic
Excels at operating in a fast-paced environment that embraces change
Ability to work as a member of a team and independently as needed
Ability to manage multiple projects with competing deadlines while maintaining high quality of work
Desire to be part of the professional community of communication professionals
Excellence in consistently meeting deadlines
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
1. No unusual physical requirements
2. Requires no heavy lifting, and nearly all work is performed in a comfortable indoor facility
3. Frequent - Externally imposed deadlines; set and revised beyond one’s control; interruptions influence priorities; difficult to anticipate nature or volume of work with certainty beyond a few days; irregular hours may be anticipated; the meeting of deadlines and coordination of unrelated activities are key to position
4. Job frequently requires walking, sitting, reaching, talking, hearing, handling objects with hands.
5. Vision requirements: ability to see information in print and/or electronically
Instructions for Applying:
Apply online and submit a resume, cover letter, and the complete contact information for at least 3 references
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.