Athletic Academic Tutors will work with student-athletes one-on-one or in a group setting concerning specific matter, helping organize the subject matter, helping with studying the material as well as other preparatory measures needed for retention. Tutors are hired as needed, and employment typically lasts at least one full semester.
Employees hired into Intermittent positions are limited to working no more than 720 hours per fiscal year.
Salary Grade: UC
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
For more information regarding Athletic Academic Support Services, please visit www.hailstate.com.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Athletic Tutors help facilitate the academic development and progress of student-athletes as they work toward degree completion. Essential duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Helping student athletes organize subject material
- Helping student-athletes study subject material utilizing various methods specific to the individual if necessary
- Helping student-athletes practice/quiz subject material for retention
- High School Diploma
- Athletic Academic Tutors must obtain at least a Junior level standing at Mississippi State University to be considered.
- It is preferred that Athletic Academic Tutors have earned the majority of their credit hours at Mississippi State University.
- Previous tutoring and/or teaching experience is preferred, but not required.
- Must have strong communication skills as well as subject-area knowledge.
- Must be responsible and maintain a professional demeanor.
- If currently a student, a 3.0 or higher GPA is preferred.
- Prior tutoring experience is preferred.
- Teaching experience at a High school or above.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
All tutoring sessions are held within the Templeton Athletic Academic Center. Little to no physical effort is required.
Instructions for Applying:
All applicants must apply online at http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu and attach a cover letter, current resume or curriculum vitae, and the complete contact information for at least three professional references. In the cover letter, applicants should address the specific subject area of expertise and any prior tutoring experience with applicable details.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.