Perform engineering research. This activity normally occurs through writing and submitting proposals for research sponsorship and the subsequent execution of a project and publication of results. Frequently, the conduct of such research requires, in addition to engineering/scientific technical skills, the management skills necessary to direct a team or faculty, staff and graduate students.
Salary Grade: UC
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
The Center for Advanced Vehicular Systems (CAVS) at Mississippi State University is an interdisciplinary center comprised of research, engineering design & development, and technology transfer teams for industry and government partners. Our overall effort is focused on developing superior computational, engineering, manufacturing, design, and information technologies relevant to Mississippi and regional industries. This is accomplished by bringing together world-class technologists and technologies to solve complex problems.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. The position will have a strong emphasis on computational science and engineering research as related to systems engineering and its applications. Specifically, the areas of application are reliability, manufacturability, and big data.
2. Provide technical leadership in one or more of the areas of application and associated technologies listed above.
3. Initiate research activities in reliability, manufacturability, and/or big data. Other areas of interest include product life cycle costs, risk, reliability and resilience applications of systems engineering.
4. Tasks include developing and executing high performance computing codes for a variety of military and civilian applications.
5. Develop and enhance relationships with federal, state, local and private partners to the fullest extent possible, forming collaboration and coordinating relationships resulting in research and development activities.
6. Publish the results of personal and sponsored research in archival journals refereed by his/her peers.
7. Serve as academic advisor to graduate and undergraduate students.
8. Pursue scholarly and professional interests which will keep his/her expertise at the leading edge of engineering practice through continuing professional duties.
Every person employed by the University is expected to meet high standards of professional integrity, collegiality and objectivity, and to further the goals of his/her unit(s) and the University. In addition, a person of research rank must have an appropriate degree, or its equivalent in training and experience; a strong commitment to higher education, and in particular to the mission of Mississippi State University; and a willingness to assume the responsibilities and obligations appropriate to a professional or faculty university employee.
In addition, the following is appropriate at this level.
To begin as an Assistant Research Professor:
The candidate will need a terminal degree in a related field, who possesses the potential for successful performance in research activity or creative achievement in a university environment and can contribute to the service of the unit, university, and/or profession.
To begin as an Associate Research Professor:
The candidate who has met the criteria for Assistant Research Professor and has consistently
demonstrated an ability to perform at a level of excellence appropriate for the rank in research activity or creative achievement and can contribute to the service of the unit, university, and/or profession.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
Occasional and/or light lifting required. Limited exposure to elements such as heat, cold, noise, dust, dirt, chemicals, etc., but none to the point of being disagreeable. May involve minor safety hazards where likely result would be cuts, bruises, etc.
Routine deadlines, usually sufficient lead time; variance in work volume predictable; priorities can be anticipated; some interruptions are present; involves occasional exposure to demands and pressure from persons other than immediate supervisor.
Job frequently requires standing, walking, climbing or balancing, stooping/kneeling/crouching/crawling and lifting up to 50 pounds.
Vision requirements: Ability to see information in print and/or electronically, ability to distinguish colors.
Instructions for Applying:
Link to apply: http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu/
Apply online by submitting a cover letter, resume, and a copy of your transcript(s). Any social numbers included on requested transcripts should be redacted prior to submitting online.
Position is contingent upon funding availability.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.