The National Strategic Planning & Analysis Research Center (NSPARC) at Mississippi State University invites applications for a Systems Analyst (Business). The successful candidate will be responsible for conducting the requirements gathering process to document business rules for software development projects, federal reporting, and grant applications.
Salary Grade: 15
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
National Strategic Planning & Analysis Research Center (NSPARC) conducts research and creates customized solutions in areas of economic, workforce, business, and community development.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Work with customers and conduct user interviews to understand the complete business processes and produce technical specifications that aid in building the technological solutions or applications.
2. Lead the requirements gathering process by engaging all the stakeholders in order to obtain the final signoff of the business requirements. Assist project manager to avoid scope creeping and gold plating of the business requirements.
3. Identify, assess, and fully document business and technical requirements using tools such as Atlassian JIRA, Confluence, and Lucidchart.
4. Maintain a knowledge base of the application requirements, and technical specifications.
5. Participate in initial investigation of software evaluation; document system requirements; help evaluate technologies and their capabilities; perform gap analysis between business needs and the technology capabilities.
6. Develop use cases, flow charts, functional diagrams and descriptions to communicate software application design specifications.
7. Work closely with Product Owner, Scrum Master, Developers and Project Manager to constantly check that business requirements are being met and any changes to requirements are promptly documented and communicated with the teams.
8. Demonstrate the features and functionalities of the software applications to a wider and non-technical audience.
9. Stay abreast of technological trends especially relating to Java and Mobile based application tools and technologies and make recommendations to the project manager and development teams in delivering top quality solutions.
10. Performs related duties as assigned.
Bachelor's degree in Information Systems, Computer Science, any Engineering discipline, Philosophy, Mathematics, Business Administration, or related area and two years of experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
Certified Scrum Master or Product Owner
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Strong written and oral communication skills.
• Demonstrated ability to understand and document software business rules and requirements using diagrams, written use cases, and user stories.
• Strong organization skills and the ability to self-direct efforts to complete documentation requirements.
• Ability to interpret business needs in various subject-matter domains.
• Ability to translate technical issues to customers, demonstrate software, and explain how software meets business needs.
• Strong research skills and the ability to understand legal requirements, reporting requirements, and policy requirements relevant to projects.
• Ability to test and validate that software meets documented business requirements.
• Ability to use Microsoft products (Word, Excel, Power Point).
• Ability to use Atlassian products (Jira, Confluence).
• Ability to identify and model data requirements.
• Demonstrated experience in grant application and proposal writing.
• Ability to sketch wireframes of input components needed to meet business requirements.
• Ability to create documentation, scripts for training videos, and text for inline help.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment
-No or very limited exposure to physical risk
-No or very limited physical effort required.
-Vision requirements: Ability to see information in print and/or electronically.
Instructions for Applying:
Applicants should complete online application at http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu and upload a cover letter and current resume. Applicants should also submit two letters of recommendation (mailed by writers under separate cover), an official transcript for terminal degree and terminal diploma (provide English translation if necessary). Should any online submission contain a social security number, please redact them prior to submitting online.
Address all supporting materials and reference letters to:
Chair, Systems Analyst (Business) Selection Committee
National Strategic Planning & Analysis Research Center
P.O. Box 6027
Mississippi State, MS 39762
Please email all queries to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Position contingent upon funding availability.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.