The Mississippi State University (MSU) Libraries seek applicants for an entry level tenure-track, Assistant Professor position. This position will collaborate with team members to ensure the effective delivery of user services, including reference, instruction, outreach and collection management in an information and technology intensive environment. This position reports to the Associate Dean for Public Services.
Salary Grade: UC
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
The University Libraries provides its community of users an ongoing, creative and technologically advanced program.
Area of Specialization:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Serves as the Research Services Department subject specialist in the Humanities (except for History), through course-integrated instruction and maintenance of subject-specific research guides;
• Provides outreach to undergraduates, graduate students and faculty in the Humanities;
• Provides specialized and general research support at a public service desk, in one-on-one research consultations and virtually by chat and email; and works evening and Sunday hours in rotation;
• Serves as a Library liaison for assigned academic departments;
• Works as a team member of the MSU Libraries’ Campus Outreach initiative;
• Meets Library and University requirements for promotion and tenure in the areas of librarianship, research and service;
• Participates in Library and University-wide committees as appropriate;
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Master’s degree from an ALA-accredited program;
• At least three (3) years of documented experience in an academic library;
• Demonstrated knowledge of new and traditional research methods and resources used in humanities research and scholarship;
• Ability to work independently and as a team member, to set and adjust priorities and workflow in a dynamic and changing environment, and able to accept new challenges in order to realize departmental and library goals;
• Strong organizational skills as well as effective interpersonal, collegial and communication/presentation skills (both oral and written);
• Demonstrated potential for meeting the requirements for promotion and tenure.
• Second masters or undergraduate degree in a Humanities field;
• Recent reference experience in an academic research library;
• Teaching experience (e.g., curricular instruction, library instruction, teaching assistant work, etc.);
• Familiarity with digital humanities methods and technologies.
Instructions for Applying:
All applicants must apply online at www.msujobs.msstate.edu and attach a cover letter and curriculum vitae and the names, addresses, phone numbers and email addresses of three professional references who can address the suitability of the candidate for the responsibilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.