Maintain, repair, replace, alter, or fabricate a wide variety of structural systems including complex systems using all types of materials, tools, and methods.
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Construct, erect, install, or repair structures, components, or fixtures of wood, plywood, wallboard, etc. including doors, hardware, windows, glass, screens, ceilings, flooring, interior and exterior trim, gutters, roofing, and waterproofing, by using hand tools and power tools.
2. Fabricate and install forms for poured in place materials. Pour and finish concrete.
3. Erect and work from ladders, scaffolds, swing stages, boom trucks, and similar devices. 4.Determine type and dimensions of materials and hardware to be used.
5. Interpret blueprints, diagrams, sketches, and job specifications.
6. Design, fabricate, alter, or repair cabinets, bookcases, shelving, furniture or fixtures.
7. Recommend items needed for purchase.
8. Document job time and materials used. Assist with training and directing Carpenter I and student employees.
9. Perform related duties as assigned.
Education: High school diploma or GED.
Experience: Three (3) years of commercial, industrial, or residential carpentry experience.
Licenses: Valid driver's license.
An equivalent combination of related education and related experience may be considered for this position.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Duties and tasks are varied and complex. Resolves most questions and problems and refers only the most complex issues to higher levels. Works under minimal supervision. May assist in training and checking the work of lower level employees.
- Knowledge of methods, materials, tools and equipment, occupational hazards, and safety precautions of the trade.
- Knowledge of applicable building codes, rules, and regulations.
- Ability to exercise tact and discretion with customers and the public.
- Skill in Carpentry techniques.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
Regularly involves lifting, bending or other physical exertion. Often exposed to one or more elements such as heat, cold, noise, dust, dirt, chemicals, etc.
Routine deadlines; usually sufficient lead time; variance in work volume seasonal and predictable; priorities can be anticipated; some interruptions are present; travel or other inconveniences have advance notice; involves occasional exposure to demands and pressures from persons other than immediate supervisor.
Job frequently requires standing, walking, reaching, climbing or balancing, talking, hearing, handling objects with hands, and lifting up to 50 pounds.
Job occasionally requires sitting, stooping/kneeling/crouching/crawling, and lifting more than 100 pounds.
Vision requirements: Ability to see information in print and/or electronically.
Instructions for Applying:
Link to apply: http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu/
All interested Applicants must apply online at www.msujobs.edu and complete a Support Staff Application.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.