Mississippi State University (MSU) is seeking a Research Engineer II based at the Advanced Composites Institute in Starkville, MS. The Institute conducts industry and government sponsored collaborative research in the field of advanced composite structures leveraging resin infusion and stitched dry fiber preform technology in addition to traditional composite methodologies. It serves as the focal point of inter-departmental research and education by providing exposure to industry focused advanced research in a cooperative environment working directly with technology leading experts. Mission objectives for the Institute include the development of advanced design-build concepts for composite structures with improved performance beyond conventional approaches that enable low cost, high rate manufacturing. The institute serves as an expert resource for technology development in the aerospace, automotive, marine, ballistics, and energy sectors.
Salary Grade: 16
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
Area of Specialization:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Performs work that involves conventional types of plans, investigations, systems, structures, or equipment with relatively few complex features or for which there are precedents.
2. Performs tasks/projects of a larger scope.
3. May lead specific tasks within the project scope.
4. Scopes task and develops approaches for moderately difficult tasks.
5. Takes responsibility for assuring quality, cost effectiveness, and timeliness for small projects.
6. Assists in preparation of reports, papers, presentations, new proposals, etc., and may collaborate on some proposals.
7. Presents papers at technical meetings.
8. Continues to enhance capabilities for project planning, including assessment of cost, scope, and schedule against plan.
9. Implements new systems/approaches for moderately difficult tasks/projects.
10. Establishes networks in internal peer group; starts becoming part of identifiable external peer network.
11. Interacts in a collaborative manner with other team members to accomplish organizational goals.
12. Provides ideas to improve efficiency at group level. Participates in procurement of additional/new funding through contributions to technical proposal preparation and/or presentations.
13. Contributes to positive co-workers/customers/investigators relationships through efficient interaction on current grants/projects.
14. Monitors the work of junior staff to ensure that correct procedures are followed. Provides direction to assure completion of technical tasks and projects.
1. B. S. Engineering
2. Two years professional experience in a related area; requires two years at previous level or equivalent
3. This position is limited to US citizens and US permanent residents.
1. Background in industrial design, analysis, and requirements development
2. Background in composite materials.
3. Strong verbal and written communications.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. Knows and effectively uses the fundamental concepts, practices and procedures of a particular field of specialization.
2. Continues development of technical expertise and knowledge through experience and application.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
• Physical ability to support shop and test lab personnel for short periods of time - move freely across elevated work platforms to coordinate design changes with technicians.
• The position may require employee to work with hazardous materials. Employee is required to wear personal protective equipment.
• Physical requirements include frequent sitting, talking, hearing, walking, and standing. Occasionally requires reaching, climbing or balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling handling objects with hands, and lifting up to 55 pounds.
• Vision requirements: Ability to see information in print and/or electronically.
• Externally exposed to deadlines; set and revised beyond one’s control; interruptions influence priorities; difficult to anticipate nature or volume of work with certainty beyond a few days; meeting of deadlines and coordination of unrelated activities are key to position.
Instructions for Applying:
MSU Onboarding System
Position is contingent upon funding availability.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.