The Department of Agricultural and Biological Engineering at Mississippi State University invites applications for a Research Associate to conduct engineering research in the field of high-throughput phenotyping.
Salary Grade: 13
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
Area of Specialization:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1) Develop electronics and software for real-time calibration of remotely sensed images from unmanned aerial systems (UAS). 2) Conduct field experiments with UAS and unmanned ground vehicles (UGVs) for high-throughput phenotyping. 3) Prepare missions and fly UAS for experiments. 4) Prepare missions and deploy UGVs for experiments. 5) Maintain and repair field equipment. 6) Write reports and articles on research and development of calibration systems. 7) Supervise student workers and graduate students involved in experiments and research and development. (8) Conduct other duties assigned by supervisor.
1) Bachelor’s Degree in Agricultural or Biosystems Engineering or closely related discipline.
2) One year of related experience with duties and responsibilities specified above.
Rank and salary will be commensurate with the education and/or experience of the candidate.
1) Master’s Degree in Agricultural or Biosystems Engineering or closely related discipline.
2) Experience designing and building electronic circuits.
3) Experience conducting field experiments.
4) FAA license to fly UAS.
5) Experience analyzing data with machine-learning techniques.
6) Experience with geospatial statistical analysis.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1) Computer programming.
2) Statistical analysis and scientific writing
3) Precision agriculture data and analysis including GIS and image analysis.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
The applicant must have the ability to perform routine office work and field work in inclement weather in the summer, including occasional long hours and weekends.
Instructions for Applying:
Apply online by submitting a cover letter, resume, and a copy of your unofficial transcript(s). Any social security numbers included on requested transcripts should be redacted prior to submitting online.
Position is contingent upon funding availability.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.