Provides leadership and direction in the client services functions of the department: housing residential applications, assignments, contracts, central office operations, and marketing and communications
Salary Grade: 15
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
The Department of Housing and Residence Life strives to create a "home away from home" where students are individually and collectively challenged and supported in the journey to become mature, contributing citizens in a global community.
In support of the mission of Mississippi State University and the Division of Student Affairs, the Department of Housing and Residence Life cultivates an on-campus environment that promotes student success, engages students through intentional interactions, and challenges them to learn and grow beyond the classroom.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Manages departmental front desk, housing assignments, and communication operations.
2. Directly supervises, trains, develops, and evaluates housing assignments and communications full-time staff and indirectly student staff.
3. Provides strategic oversight for areas related to housing operations and communications
4. Develops and implement objectives and goals that support Housing and Residence Life, the Division of Student Affairs, and the University mission
5. In collaboration with departmental leadership, develops knowledge, skills, policies, practices, and abilities related to occupancy management benchmarks, development and occupancy management strategies as well as accommodation needs
6. Develops and train staff on housing management systems, front office and occupancy management procedures
7. In collaboration with the Executive and Associate Director, plans dates of opening and closing, develop departmental calendar for occupancy management and communicate that to campus partners
8. Assists with implementing operational standards by providing information for strategic plans/reviews and implementation of policy and procedures
9. Administrator excellent customer service standards
10. Serves as a member of the departmental leadership team in the absence of the Associate Director
11. Maintains accurate historical residential data
12. In conjunction with the Associate Director, leads short-term and long-term occupancy management strategic plans, goals and objectives
13. Serves on departmental, divisional, and/or university-wide committees as needed
14. Active involvement with related professional associations
15. Performs other duties as assigned
Bachelor’s in Business, Marketing, Communications, or related field.
3 years’ experience
• Master’s degree in higher education, college student development, or Business Administration. Additional experience could substitute for Master’s Degree
• Supervisory experience of full-time and/or post-masters level staff
• Experience working with the housing management systems and/or strategic marketing & communications plans
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. Excellent communication and intrapersonal skills
2. Supervise, lead, and management of a various of staff levels and expertise
3. Knowledgeable and practices skills related to sales, contracting, resource allocation and management
4. Proficient knowledge of computer applications (e.g., Microsoft suite) and housing management systems
5. Ability to foster an environment of inclusion and demonstrate a commitment to diversity by facilitating professional development with supervised staff, and hiring staff with diversity that is reflective of the student population
6. Work with a variety of departmental and university team members
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
• No unusual physical requirements. Requires no heavy lifting, and majority of work is performed in a comfortable indoor facility. There are many events that will require this position to work outside of normal business hours including nights, weekends, and holidays
• Externally imposed deadlines, set or revised on short notice, frequent shifts in priority, numerous interruptions requiring immediate attention, unusual pressure on a daily basis due to accountability for success for major projects or areas of operation
• Job frequently requires sitting, reaching, talking, and hearing
• Job occasionally requires standing, walking, climbing or balancing, stooping/kneeling/crouching/crawling, handling objects with hands, and lifting up to 25 pounds. Vision requirements: Ability to see information in print and/or electronically
Instructions for Applying:
Applications must be submitted through the Human Resources Management Website at https://www.msujobs.msstate.edu/ by completing the online application and submitting a cover letter, resume, unofficial transcripts, and at least 3 professional references.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.