This is the intermediate level-developing/maturing professional. Incumbents perform complex program/project management work, applying established processes within a defined framework to meet MSU, Federal/State Government and industry policy, rules and best practices. Independently evaluates, selects, and applies accepted program/project management techniques; assignments have clear and specified objectives, and require the investigation of a limited number of variables. Incumbent relies on limited experience and exercises judgment within a construct of defined procedures and practices.
Salary Grade: 16
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
Mississippi State University's Raspet Flight Research Laboratory (RFRL) is a historic, nationally recognized leader in the field of experimental aviation research. Founded in 1948, Raspet stands out as one of the University's most long standing and prominently established research entities with a 70-year history of excellence. True to its heritage, today Raspet continually advances modern concepts in experimental aviation through the research, development, testing, and evaluation of Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) and their associated technologies.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Performs work that involves conventional types of project planning, cost estimating/
budgeting, work package development and management, task management and reporting using processes for which there are precedents.
2. Performs tasks and manages projects of a larger scope.
3. May lead specific tasks within the project scope.
4. Scopes tasks and develops approaches for moderately difficult tasks.
5. Takes responsibility for assuring quality, cost effectiveness, and timeliness for small projects.
6. Assists in preparation of reports, papers, presentations, new proposals, etc., and may collaborate on some proposals.
7. Continues to enhance capabilities for project planning, including assessment of cost, scope, and schedule against plan.
8. Implements new systems/approaches for moderately difficult tasks/projects.
9. Establishes networks in internal peer group; starts becoming part of identifiable external peer network.
10. Interacts in a collaborative manner with other team members to accomplish organizational goals.
11. Provides ideas to improve efficiency at group level. Participates in procurement of additional/new funding through contributions to technical proposal preparation and/or presentations.
12. Contributes to positive co-workers/customers/investigators relationships through efficient interaction on current grants/projects.
13. Perform related duties as requested.
B.S. in Business Administration, Management, Engineering or another technical field.
Two years professional experience in a related area; requires two years at previous level or equivalent.
This position is limited to US citizens and US permanent residents.
Monitors the work of junior staff to ensure that correct procedures are followed. Provides
direction to assure completion of technical tasks and projects.
1. Eligibility for a US Government Security Clearance.
2. Past experience managing Federal government acquisition programs or Federal government research programs with a technical focus, particularly in Defense or Homeland Security.
3. Past experience managing execution of Federal contracts, particularly Defense or Homeland Security.
4. Aviation experience.
5. Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. Knows and effectively uses the fundamental concepts, practices, and procedures of project management.
2. Continues development of technical expertise and knowledge through experience and application.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
Occasional and/or light lifting required. Limited exposure to elements such as heat, cold, noise, dust, dirt, chemicals, etc., but none to the point of being disagreeable. May involve minor safety hazards where likely result would be cuts, bruises, etc. Routine deadlines, usually sufficient lead time; variance in work volume predictable; priorities can be anticipated; some interruptions are present; involves occasional exposure to demands and pressure from persons other than immediate supervisor. Job frequently requires standing, walking, climbing or balancing, stooping/kneeling/crouching/crawling and lifting up to 50 pounds. Vision requirements: Ability to see information in print and/or electronically, ability to distinguish colors.
Instructions for Applying:
Link to apply: http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu/
Apply online via MSU Job portal system.
Position contingent upon funding availability.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.