To provide basic animal care and husbandry for a wide range of animals used in research, teaching and for client animals. May include some supervision of student workers.
Salary Grade: 11
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Provide basic animal care and husbandry for various species of animals. Animal care and husbandry includes cleaning and changing out cages, cleaning stalls and animal runs. Feeding, watering, observations and record keeping.
2. Operate equipment such as cage washer, pressure washer, floor scrubber, forklift and tractor.
3. Perform complex animal care tasks with clinical/research animals in accordance with standards.
4. Assure that animal environment is in compliance with Federal Regulations and other applicable guidelines and standards.
5. Maintain records on animal census, health, services, and in compliance with standard practices.
6. Administer animal treatments under the direction of a veterinarian.
7. Work schedule includes weekends and may vary from week to week.
8. Responsible for cleaning exam rooms and equipment.
9. Responsible for stocking supplies.
10. Assist in restraining animals for examinations and medical procedures.
11. Performs related duties as assigned.
High School diploma or equivalent with four years’ experience caring for animals in a dairy, veterinary clinic, research institution, or related environment. -or-
Certification through the American Association for Laboratory Animal Science Technician Certification Program with two years’ experience caring for animals in a dairy, veterinary clinic, research institution, or related environment. -or-
Bachelor's degree in Animal or Biological Science or related field with no experience. –or-
Any equivalent combination of related experience and/or education approved by the Department of Human Resources Management.
Must successfully pass the Assistant Laboratory Animal Technician certification examination by the American Association for Laboratory Animal Science within one year of employment.
The person accepting the position must be willing and able to become vaccinated against diseases such as influenza, tetanus, and rabies.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Excellent telephone and email communication skills, especially related to client service
Ability to use Word, Excel, Email programs
Ability to learn and use hospital management software
Ability to lift, stoop and bend
Ability to lift up to 40 pounds
Ability to handle, load, restrain, and work with large and companion animals
Ability to walk and stand on feet for prolonged periods of time
Must possess a valid driver's license
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
Frequent - Externally imposed deadlines; set and revised beyond one’s control; interruptions influence priorities; difficult to anticipate nature or volume of work with certainty beyond a few days; meeting of deadlines and coordination of related activities are key to position.
Job frequently requires walking, sitting, reaching, talking, hearing, handling objects with hands.
Job requires standing, stooping/kneeling/crouching/crawling, and lifting up to 50 pounds.
Job requires use of computer keyboard in the performance of duties.
Vision requirements: Ability to see information in print and/or electronically
Instructions for Applying:
Link to apply: http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu/
Applicants must apply online.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.