The Afterhours Clinical Admissions Assistant position is the “face” and first line of communication with Clients and Referring veterinarians both in-person and by telephone. The clinical admissions assistant coordinates patient referrals, schedules appointments, manages hospital communications, completes patient admissions and provides excellent client services to the over 10,000 patients seen by the Animal Health Center each year. The responsibilities also include monitoring the security of the building and facilitating resolution of any issues or emergency needs within the physical facility.
Salary Grade: 11
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Greets clients and coordinate patient intake upon arrival. Must be able to readily identify critical patients, notify appropriate personnel (doctors, staff, Year 3 and Year 4 DVM students, and/or Senior Technology students) immediately, and assist with the handling of the associated clients. Monitor waiting area and alert services when clients have been waiting for more than 15 minutes.
2. Professionally answers incoming telephone calls from referring veterinarians and be able to understand and use medical terminology in such a way as to determine if the referral request should be handled as an emergency or as a general referral case. Schedule an appointment based on the case specifics or message the appropriate personnel for further discussion and consult with referring veterinarian. Assists referring veterinarians in scheduling client appointments to ensure a seamless delivery of excellent customer service from point of admission to discharge.
3. Answers all calls for the College in a timely fashion using proper phone etiquette and speaking in a professional manner. Handle 30-50 phone calls as the Emergency Operator each night, make the determination if the client/patient needs require emergency care or involves a more routine issue whereby a message is taken and routed to the appropriate service/person on the next business day. Route these calls or messages to one of the numerous individual voicemail box or clinical services as deemed appropriate.
4. Communicates with a superior level of customer service to maintain patient demographic information by obtaining, recording, and updating personal and financial information. Input into the electronic medical record client contact information to include full name, address, phone number, and email address along with ensuring referring veterinarian information is up-to-date.
5. Provides support and comfort to clients through a vast array of emotional situations. Examples include desperation, anger, guilt, grief, etc.
6. Notifies clients when their animal’s cremains are ready and compassionately release the ashes to the grieving owner when they present for pick up.
7. Possess a basic knowledge of veterinary terminology and develop a fundamental knowledge of animal care and husbandry for household pets and livestock.
8. Collects payments (cash, check, credit card), issue receipts, and secure deposits. Verify calculations to determine taxes, discounts, and additional charges are correct. Processes credit applications through outside financial institution (CareCredit) to verify financial eligibility status for admission to hospital.
9. Monitors the security of the building through cameras and door alarms.
10. Coordinates resolution of the CVM physical facility by contacting appropriate personnel
11. Performs related duties as assigned.
High School Diploma plus 4 years' experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
Previous work in a Veterinary Medical environment.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Excellent oral communication skills in person and on the telephone.
• Ability to multi-task.
• Ability to remain calm under pressure.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
• Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment.
• No or very limited exposure to physical risk.
• No or very limited physical effort required.
Instructions for Applying:
Link to apply: http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu/
Qualified applicants are invited to apply online. Please include cover letter and resume.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.