The Department of Curriculum, Instruction, and Special Education is advertising for two positions to assist in academic advising and oversee the maintenance of academic records for a department. One position will assist the online graduate and undergraduate programs, and the other position will assist primarily with traditional, on-campus undergraduate programs in the department.
Salary Grade: 13
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
Please see the Departmental webpage https://www.cise.msstate.edu/
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Provides information to undergraduate and graduate students regarding degree requirements and advises appropriately with regard to academic deficiencies.
2. Provides information to undergraduate and graduate students regarding Mississippi Department of Education certification requirements and advises appropriately with regard to teacher licensure deficiencies.
3. Confers with faculty advisors and department heads relative to academic records, credits, policy, and program requirements.
4. Evaluates transcripts from other educational institutions to determine which courses meet requirements for specific curricula.
5. Conducts registration for all first-time students. Requires full knowledge of admission process and academic program requirements.
6. Assists with orientation, preregistration, and registration procedures.
7. Answers email inquiries sent by prospective and new students.
8. Assists the adult learner/transfer students throughout the semester, not just at the beginning of the term, to aid in retention.
9. Compiles statistical data for various reports as requested.
10. Performs the most difficult assignments with judgment and discretion.
Supervisory Responsibility: None
The above essential duties are representative of major duties in this position. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary based upon departmental needs. Other duties may be assigned to the above consistent with the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for the job. Not all of the duties may be assigned to a position.
Bachelor's degree and one year of experience in academic records or a related field.
Masters degree, more than one year of applicable experience, and familiarity with BANNER, Slate, and Canvas.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. Ability to communicate and relate to students and university personnel.
2. Knowledge of word processing and spreadsheet programs.
3. Excellent interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills required.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
1. Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment.
2. No or very limited exposure to physical risk.
3. No or very limited physical effort required.
Instructions for Applying:
Link to apply: http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu/
Please attach a cover letter and current resume that includes a section on computer/software experience and expertise. An attachment of your unofficial transcripts with any social security numbers redacted and other supporting documentation is welcome. Please address your cover letter to Dr. Janice Nicholson, Interim Department Head, 175 President's Circle, Box 9705, MS State, MS 39762.
Position is contingent upon funding availability.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.