The Geosystems Research Institute (GRI) at Mississippi State University is looking for a highly motivated and self-driven candidate with strong background and experience in addressing agriculture engineering issues related to detecting phenomenon within field that indicate plant stress and/or soil health. The selected candidate will be responsible for conducting research and executing tasks as specified in active GRI projects. The candidate is expected to work with others who are focused on UAS based sensing applications, particularly plant stress and soil health. The candidate is expected to work closely with faculty in departments as well as faculty and researchers in GRI.
Salary Grade: UC
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
Area of Specialization:
Anticipated Appointment Date:
June 1, 2021
Tenure Track Status:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Evaluate spatial and temporal patterns in forms and storage of nutrients in soils and their potential influence in regulating soil health.
• Build empirical models between surface water quantity and underlying soil properties and external hydrologic loadings to predict water flow.
• Participate in research on ways to measure carbon flux with autonomous vehicles, with uncrewed aerial vehicles (UAS) being the ultimate goal.
• Collaborate with USDA and academic researchers to improve the spatial-temporal characterization of key environmental variables (e.g., soil moisture, evapotranspiration, precipitation) in support of both GRI and USDA’s mission areas.
• Prepare and publish papers and reports in peer-reviewed journals.
• Present research achievements and updates at international conferences and workshops.
• Must have a Ph.D. in Soil Science, Water Science, Agricultural Engineering, or closely related field
• Minimum of three-years postgraduate research experience.
• Demonstrated the ability to disseminate knowledge in archival journals as lead author.
• Demonstrated the ability to attract extramural funding.
ABDs or degree pending considered (all but DISS):
• Knowledge of Statistics, Machine Learning, and Data Science.
• Knowledge of statistical software such as SAS or R.
• Familiarity with UAS and UAS operations
• Knowledge of crop systems, crop production, and gas emissions.
• Demonstrated research and analytical skills, as well as proficient reasoning skills in experimental design and interpretation.
• Record of high-quality research publications in referred journals and conference proceedings.
• Demonstrated ability to work within multidisciplinary teams.
Instructions for Applying:
Link to apply: http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu/
Apply online by submitting a cover letter, resume, and a copy of your transcript(s). Any social security numbers included on requested transcripts should be redacted prior to submitting online.
Position is contingent upon funding availability.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.