Responsible for assisting Head Coach in the management and administration of the sport program and team.
Salary Grade: UC
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Perform administrative duties as follows:
a. Adhere to all policies and regulations of the athletic department.
b. Adhere to all rules and regulations of the University, SEC, and NCAA.
c. Assist the Head Coach and Academic Counselors in overseeing the academic progress of student-athletes.
2. Accept budgetary responsibilities as follows:
a. Adhere to expense report and purchasing guidelines established by the business office.
b. Exercise reasonable judgment in selecting hotels and restaurants.
3. Perform coaching duties as follows:
a. Attend all daily workouts.
b. Assume responsibility for the coach area(s) assigned by the Head Coach.
4. Perform recruiting duties as follows:
a. Assist the head coach with on-campus visits, as directed.
b. Ensure self understanding and compliance with all NCAA/SEC rules and regulations pertaining to recruiting. Seek interpretation of rules and regulations from the Head Coach or Sr. Associate Athletic Director as necessary.
5. Perform public relations duties as follows:
a. Establish and maintain a good working and professional relationship with all athletic department personnel.
b. Establish and maintain good relations with the department’s public.
6. Perform miscellaneous duties as follows:
a. Represent the Head Coach at meetings and other events, as requested by Head Coach.
b. Assist in any projects assigned by the Head Coach.
c. Assist the Head Coach with University activities, as requested.
d. Assist the Head Coach with Conference activities, as requested.
e. Assist with special projects as assigned by the Director of Athletics.
Bachelor's degree in related field with one to three years of related experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. Strong interpersonal, communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a diverse group of students.
2. Knowledge and understanding of all aspects of the specified sports program.
3. Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
4. Knowledge of athletic recruitment methods and techniques.
5. Skill in budget preparation and fiscal management.
6. Knowledge of NCAA regulations and guidelines governing the recruitment and retention of student-athletes.
7. Ability to lead and guide Division I student-athletes in area of specialty.
8. Ability to make administrative/procedural decisions and judgments.
9. Ability to read, understand, follow, and enforce safety procedures.
10. Ability to foster a cooperative work environment.
11. Knowledge of financial/business analysis techniques.
12. Ability to travel extensively.
13. Ability to work long hours.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
• Requires working in extreme weather conditions, both cold and hot temperatures. Ability to stand and walk for long periods.
• Frequent - Externally imposed deadlines; set and revised beyond one's control; interruptions influence priorities; difficult to anticipate nature or volume of work with certainty beyond a few days; meeting of deadlines and coordination of unrelated activities are key to position; involves conflict-resolution or similar interactions involving emotional issues or stress on a regular basis.
• Job occasionally requires walking, sitting, reaching, talking, hearing, handling objects with hands.
• Job occasionally requires standing, stooping/kneeling/crouching/crawling, and lifting up to 25 pounds.
• Vision requirements: Ability to see information in print and/or electronically.
Instructions for Applying:
Link to apply: http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu/
Please attach Resume and cover letter to your Application.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.