Provides academic advisement for prospective, current, and former students within a specified undergraduate academic department or equivalent unit of a college. Assesses academic level, attends to student academic inquiries, assists in the resolution of individual academic problems, and advises on academic program changes. Advises and assists students in the development of academic plans and class schedules Analyzes applications, transfer evaluations, and transcripts for entry and exit from the university. Develops and maintains appropriate files and records.
Salary Grade: 14
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Answers student inquiries and resolves problems related to curriculum and course prerequisites, referring to catalogues, written course descriptions, and other appropriate sources.
2. Receives and reviews transcripts to evaluate transfer credits and applicability of academic credit to program requirements.
3. Initiates and maintains individual student files as appropriate, updating and evaluating file as new information is received.
4. Reviews student files to ensure deadlines are met for completing various graduation requirements such as coursework requirements, theses, comprehensive examinations, and other specific program requirements.
5. Coordinates with other organizational units to process admission and graduation requests and to aid in resolution of academic problems.
6. Reviews student grade reports each semester to determine probation and/or suspension based on academic regulations of university; notifies and places students on probation or suspension; returns students to regular status after sufficient progress is made.
7. Prepares form letters, individual letters, and information packets in support of group and/or individual recruitment efforts; attends and participates in individual and group orientation and other information dissemination sessions.
8. Assists students in the selection of appropriate courses and concentrations in terms of students' stated preferences.
9. Assists faculty advisement, athletic coaches, and/or other counseling personnel by providing records, evaluations, interpretations, and other requested data, recommendations, and conclusions.
10. Performs supplemental administrative activities such as scheduling meetings and interviews, securing requested information, and verifying and maintaining computerized data files.
11. May supervise lower graded staff and/or student employees; may participate in training and evaluative sessions and recommend methods to improve advisement activities.
12. Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in related field
Experience (yrs.): 1 year directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified
Indicated education is required; no substitution.
Master’s degree in a related field. Working knowledge of MSU's core curriculum, regulations, and policies.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Ability to gather data, compile information, and prepare reports.
• Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
• Records maintenance skills.
• Ability to maintain calendars and schedule appointments.
• Ability to use independent judgment and to manage and impart confidential information.
• Ability to analyze and solve problems.
• Ability to analyze course prerequisites, certification, and/or curriculum/graduation requirements.
• Ability to evaluate student transcripts and/or records.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
• Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment.
• No or very limited exposure to physical risk.
• No or very limited physical effort required.
Instructions for Applying:
Link to apply: http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu/
Applicants must attach a cover letter and resume.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.