To lead and support a variety of routine and specialized Extension and research duties focused on a combination of coastal conservation and restoration, environmental monitoring, environmental stewardship, and environmental education.
Salary Grade: 08
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
This position will be administratively housed at the Coastal Research and Extension Center in Biloxi, MS, but duty station is the Grand Bay National Estuarine Research Reserve in Moss, Point, MS.
Area of Specialization:
Coastal conservation and restoration, environmental monitoring, environmental stewardship, environmental education
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Organize meetings for coastal end-users and prepare outreach and extension materials focused on coastal conservation and restoration. Collect field samples such as plants, animals, soils, water, etc., and prepare for laboratory analysis. Order and maintain supplies and materials. Gather, compile, and summarize data. Set up tables and graphs and assist in statistical analysis. Write extension and journal publications. Manage project budgets. Perform literature searches. Search and apply for external grants. May use computer to maintain data and prepare reports. Assist in preparing materials for teaching purposes. Perform related duties as assigned.
The primary responsibilities of the selected applicant will be to lead and/or assist with the development, implementation, and evaluation of an applied science program. These duties will include activities such as, but not limited to:
* Organizing meetings
* Leading and assisting with trainings
* Leading and assisting with the preparation and dissemination of outreach materials, Extension publications, and technical reports
* Developing, organizing, and implementing field research
* Applying for and managing extramural funding
* Trailering and operating vessels
* Collecting, interpreting, and reporting data
* Performing research activities, such as literature reviews and sample collection/processing
* Other duties as assigned
High School Diploma
Bachelor's degree with major coursework in a curriculum appropriate for the field of assignment
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
* Typing and computer skills (word processing and spreadsheets)
* Highly flexible: ability to adapt to a rapidly changing schedule
* Ability to juggle multiple tasks and prioritize multiple demands
* Strong oral and written communication skills
* Knowledge and skills in using Microsoft Office Suites especially Word, Excel, PowerPoint; knowledge and skills in document/project management/sharing platforms (e.g. Google Drive, Basecamp, etc.)
* Ability to develop and maintain diverse and robust partnerships
* Ability to collect, process, and interpret research data; ability to author or co-author publications.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
* Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment.
* Work may involve moderate exposure to unusual elements, such as extreme temperatures, dirt, dust, fumes, smoke, unpleasant odors, and/or loud noises.
* Ability to work in extreme weather conditions
* Ability to work long hours
Instructions for Applying:
Link to apply: http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu/
All applicants must apply online at www.jobs.msstate.edu by submitting an online application and attaching a cover letter and resume.
In addition to the online application, a cover letter and resume must be emailed to: email@example.com
Position contingent upon funding availability.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.