To perform a variety of diagnostic analyses and procedures to obtain data for use in diagnosis and treatment of diseases. Also performs the duties to supervise, schedule, and coordinate employees in a diagnostic laboratory section; to monitor and maintain a quality control program ensuring accuracy of test results; to facilitate workload and paperwork flow, ensuring timely reporting of results; to oversee maintenance of all laboratory equipment; and to maintain inventory control within a specified budget assigned.
Salary Grade: 14
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The following examples are intended as illustrations only of the various types of duties assigned in positions allocated to this classification. The absence of specific statements of duties does not exclude those tasks from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment of the position.
1. Ability to work irregular hours including mornings, evenings, weekends, and University holidays. Hours will vary based upon the unique testing needs of the Mississippi State University Department of Athletics
2. Performs controls on instruments and kits in the lab when needed.
3. Calibrates lab equipment as needed.
4. Performs specimens as needed.
5. Responsible for all athletics COVID testing needs.
6. Receives all testing lists from Athletics.
7. Creates orders for testing and prepare swabs for each testing session.
8. Performs swabbing on-site in athletics facilities at scheduled times.
9. Packages results for the College of Veterinary Medicine Lab.
10. Reconciles all results against testing spreadsheets; send results to appropriate recipients.
11. Prompts notification of positive results to specified recipients.
12. Ability to move between various facilities to required testing needs.
13. Responsible for executing broad assignments and tasks with limited direction.
Bachelor’s Degree in Medical Technology from accredited institution.
Registered as a Medical Technologist with the American Society of Clinical Pathologists
1 year work experience
1. Education or experience beyond the minimum requirements with special consideration to
candidates with experience in a medical environment.
2. Previous experience with patient appointment scheduling and appointment system management and/or medical records background.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. Knowledge, skills, and abilities commensurate with minimum qualifications
2. Experience with computers.
3. Ability to communicate well with good interpersonal and telephone skills.
4. Customer service skills.
5. Ability to multi-task.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
• No unusual physical requirements. Requires limited lifting of files and records. Work may be performed inside and outside.
• Frequent- External imposed deadlines; set and revised beyond one's control.
• Job frequently requires walking, sitting, reaching, talking, hearing, handling objects with hands.
• Vision requirements: Ability to see information in print and/or electronically.
• Involves irregular hours including mornings, evenings, weekends and holidays.
Instructions for Applying:
Link to apply: http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu/
All interested parties should apply online
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.