To assemble, install, repair, and perform maintenance to piping, fixtures, and equipment used in the distribution, drainage, and ventilation of water, water carried waste, air, gas, and other liquids.
Salary Grade: PLB-E
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Install, operate, troubleshoot and maintain the water and sanitary sewer systems,
natural gas lines, steam distribution systems, various valves, gauges, pumps and fixtures.
2. Operate pipe cutters, pipe threaders, hack saws, drill presses, impact drills, sewer
cleaning equipment, backhoe, sound detectors, soldering equipment and various tools.
3. Install, operate, troubleshoot and maintain specialized equipment, such as water stills and
other demineralized water systems, steam traps and regulators, and natural gas operated equipment.
4. Test piping systems for leaks using various means.
5. Erect and work from ladders, scaffolding, boom trucks, and related devices; ability to
crawl in pipe chases for repair of gas, water, sewer and steam lines.
6. Perform work on other mechanical systems.
7. Stock and operate a service vehicle.
8. Document job time and material and assist with the estimating of time and material to
be used on a job.
9. Interpret blueprints, diagrams, sketches, job specifications and prepare as built drawings
of plumbing systems.
10. Locate valves for contractors and officials. Excavate to get at underground lines.
11. Perform minor welding and cutting in support of primary assignments.
12. Adapt commercially available components to meet specialized needs.
13. Develop and fabricate innovative methods, components, and equipment to meet
14. Stay knowledgeable of safety and plumbing codes and University standards.
15. Cut, thread, bend, and install pipe.
16. May perform light electrical, excavation, and/or demolition work.
17. Help adapt commercially available components to meet specialized needs.
18. Perform related duties as assigned.
Applies basic skills and learns advanced skills in procedures, techniques, tools, materials and/or equipment appropriate to area of specialization. Equivalent to an apprentice level in area of specialization. High school diploma or equivalent plus one to two years experience.
Experience in Plumbing Practices
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Certification or Licensure Requirements:
Valid Driver’s License
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
Regularly involves lifting, bending or other physical exertion. Often exposed to one or more elements such as heat, cold, noise, dust, dirt, chemicals, etc.
Routine deadlines; usually sufficient lead time; variance in work volume seasonal and predictable; priorities can be anticipated; some interruptions are present; travel or other inconveniences have advance notice; involves occasional exposure to demands and pressures from persons other than immediate supervisor.
Job frequently requires standing, walking, reaching, climbing or balancing, talking, hearing, handling objects with hands, and lifting up to 50 pounds.
Job occasionally requires sitting, stooping/kneeling/crouching/crawling, and lifting more than 100 pounds.
Vision requirements: Ability to see information in print and/or electronically, ability to distinguish colors.
Instructions for Applying:
Link to apply: http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu/
All interested Applicants must apply online at www.msjobs.edu and complete a Support Staff Application.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.