The Front End Web Developer is responsible for design, development, and support for university websites. It will require a deep understanding of web design principles and user experience, as well as the front-end development skills to bring the design to fruition. Additionally, assist faculty, staff, and students with recommendations for Web systems and applications, configuration and training, integration with other systems, compliance with University policies and procedures, and integration of various information technology systems into an educational environment.
Salary Grade: 16
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
Anticipated Appointment Date:
July 16, 2021
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Collaborates with Information Technology Services personnel to provide quality information technology support services to MSU.
2. Partners with the group's web developers and designers for website and interface design.
3. Coordinates resources, schedules, and communications for web site development projects and maintenance of sites.
4. Establishes and maintains effective communications with clients, Enterprise Information Systems staff, and staff in other ITS divisions.
5. Develops and maintains design project plans including scope, deliverables, and timelines.
6. Develops and adheres to quality assurance practices for university web systems.
7. Develops site navigation by categorizing content and site traffic patterns.
8. Develops site content and graphics and coordinate development and design activities of other IT staff.
9. Develops dynamic content for site and program web applications using database integration.
10. Provides creative input for project ideas and site concepts.
11. Maintains site viability by developing and enforcing content and display standards. Maintains high design/production quality by reviewing overall ITS design work on the site and ensuring that site content and navigation is consistent.
12. Maintains currency of knowledge and industry trends in applicable technologies such as graphic design, authoring, programming, security, automation, etc.
13. Monitors performance, usage, and the aesthetic and operational effectiveness of web sites.
14. Develops metrics and analytics for understanding site usage and end-user behavior correlating to site navigation and usability.
15. Conducts usability studies as needed to analyze site design and effectiveness.
Trains and utilizes graduate students and/or student workers on projects and daily tasks as necessary.
Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university with a focus in Information Technology, Graphic design, art, web design, or a related discipline,
Five years' experience in web publishing, development, and/or design is required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. Experience with Content Management Systems, such as Drupal.
2. Web design and development experience within an academic environment.
3. Proficient knowledge of the following:
4. Knowledge of the following:
5. Ability to apply creativity and imagination to web design processes.
6. Ability to balance design with customer meetings, customer needs, and support.
7. Ability to communicate effectively with diverse customers who possess varying levels of technical proficiency.
8. Excellent graphic skills.
9. Experience in web graphic design and web user interface design.
10. Experience with search engine applications and database integration with web pages.
11. Experience with following desktop publishing/imaging applications:
a. Photo Editing (e.g. Adobe Photoshop)
b. Drawing (e.g. Adobe Illustrator)
c. Layout (e.g. Adobe InDesign)
d. Web editors (e.g. Visual Studio Code)
e. Automation Software (e.g. Jenkins)
12. Understanding of web browsers and technical considerations for deployment to various platforms.
13. Understanding of MSU's policy for Web pages and Visual Identity Standards.
14. Knowledge of web usability standards and best practices in web interface design including Section 508 Accessibility guidelines.
15. Project management skills including scope, deliverables, and timelines.
16. Able to communicate and work effectively with faculty, staff, and students.
17. Good technical aptitude; ability to learn new technologies and skills relevant to web site development.
18. Possess excellent interpersonal skills.
19. Excellent work ethic.
20. Good organizational skills.
21. Self-motivated and goal oriented.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
1. Ability to manipulate a variety of office equipment, including occasional lifting of up to 30 pounds.
2. Frequent external imposed deadlines; set and revised beyond one's control; interruptions influence priorities; difficult to anticipate nature or volume of work with certainty beyond a few days; meeting of deadlines and coordination of unrelated activities are key to position; involves conflict-resolution or similar interactions involving emotional issues or stress on a regular basis.
3. Job frequently requires walking, sitting, reaching, talking, hearing, handling objects with hands.
Instructions for Applying:
Link to apply: http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu/
All applicants must apply online at www.msujobs.msstate.edu by attaching a cover letter and resume which includes the names and addresses of 3 professional references. We will accept applications only from persons with indefinite employment authorization in the U.S., and will not sponsor for nonimmigrant or immigrant status for this position.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.