The incumbent is expected to collaborate with other faculty in the North Mississippi Research and Extension Center, Department of Forestry, and Extension specialists and Agents from other locations to develop an effective, nationally recognized Extension program. This collaboration in Mississippi provides opportunities to expand forestry Extension efforts beyond Northeast Mississippi. The opportunity exists for the specialist to be assigned statewide responsibility for subject matter programming in the individual’s area of expertise.
Salary Grade: UC
For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
The North Mississippi Research and Extension Center (NMREC) seeks an Assistant Professor to lead the forestry Extension program based at the NMREC in Verona, Mississippi. This 100% Extension 12-month tenure-track faculty appointment will be physically and administratively housed at the North Mississippi Research and Extension Center in Verona, Mississippi with an academic home in the Department of Forestry at Mississippi State University (MSU). Promotion and tenure for this position will be administered through the Department of Forestry at MSU. This is a faculty position with MSU Extension.
The NMREC is one of four MSU Research and Extension Centers in the MSU system and is in Verona, MS approximately 1 hour driving time from the main MSU campus in Starkville, MS. The NMREC houses Extension and research faculty from several academic departments within the Division of Agriculture, Forestry, and Veterinary Medicine. It serves as the administrative hub for one of the largest groups of MSU’s 16 branch experiment stations and research units located throughout the state, having a research staff of approximately 50 employees and consisting of approximately 4,500 acres.
Area of Specialization:
Anticipated Appointment Date:
August 15, 2022.
Tenure Track Status:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Specifically, the successful candidate will:
1. Provide leadership to forestry Extension programming in Northeast Mississippi and serve as a resource to County Extension Agents.
• Develop a robust Extension program in forestry based on needs assessments and funding opportunities
• Contribute to forestry education plans in the statewide Extension Plan of Work. This includes timely needs-based program planning, development, implementation, evaluation, and reporting.
• Develop and implement in-service training to Extension Agents on forestry educational programs
• Work closely with local county forestry associations to serve the needs of various forestry client groups in the assigned area
• Work cooperatively and collaboratively with other faculty in implementing forestry Extension education programs
2. Provide leadership for a comprehensive forestry program serving landowners, natural resources professionals, business and industry officials, members of public and private organizations, 4-H youth, and associated stakeholders in the Extension Northeast Region, with contributions to statewide Extension forestry programming as part of a collaborative statewide forestry Extension team.
• As a forestry team member, provide forestry subject matter expertise and provide programmatic training for Extension Agents
• Develop programmatic curricula, provide forestry subject matter technical expertise, and serve as a resource person in all areas of forestry education, emphasizing the needs of Northeast Mississippi
• Provide educational support to 4-H forestry programming
• Perform other duties to support forestry Extension programming as assigned
3. Serve as a productive Extension faculty member.
• Participate in the Forestry Extension program planning team
• Secure extramural funding to support Extension programming in forestry
• Demonstrate scholarly activity via publication in appropriate Extension outlets including peer-reviewed academic journals, Extension publications, popular press, and social media
• Recruit, train, and advise graduate students and serve on graduate committees
• Demonstrate a commitment to service through activities such as participation on department, college, and university committees and via service to appropriate professional associations
• Contribute to a collegial work environment and foster productive working relationships with Extension Agents, faculty, staff, and external stakeholders
• Build a nationally-recognized Extension program
A Ph.D. in Forestry is required. The successful candidate will have a practical knowledge of forestry and natural resources management and use, enabling the individual to work with public and private entities and landowners in Mississippi to develop system solutions to practical forestry issues. Excellent interpersonal skills and verbal and written communication skills are required for the position. Experience with forest management and use of forest resources is desirable.
Candidates with a minimum of five years Extension experience in forestry with a working knowledge of forest management and use of forest resources are preferred. Candidates with professional experience effectively working as part of an Extension team are preferred.
Instructions for Applying:
Link to apply: http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu/
All applicants MUST apply online at explore.msujobs.msstate.edu and attach a letter of interest, current curriculum vitae, transcripts of all college and university work, and the names and complete contact information of three professional references.
Inquiries can be emailed to Dr. Lorin Harvey at email@example.com. For more information contact Dr. Lorin Harvey at 662-489-4621. A review of applications will begin April 15, 2022; however, applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Please note that any social security numbers included on requested transcripts should be redacted prior to submitting online and that official transcripts will be requested of finalists.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.
What do I do if I need an accommodation?
In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with Mississippi State University, please contact the Department of Human Resources Management at tel: (662) 325-3713 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any questions regarding this policy, contact the Department of Human Resources Management at (662) 325-3713 or email@example.com. Upon request, sections of this job listing are available in large print, and readers are available to assist the visually impaired.