The Assistant Director for the PROMISE Student Support Program (PSSP) is responsible for the leadership, management, and strategic planning that increases student retention, success, and completion. The Assistant Director for PSSP will provide tools, tips, and resources to empower students towards academic and student success.
Salary Grade: 15
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
The Division of Access, Diversity and Inclusion (ADI) at Mississippi State University is comprised of five (5) departments focused on ensuring that equity and inclusion is central to the decision-making processes. The Division provides institutional leadership on matters related to diversity, equity and access partnering across academic and non-academic units to foster an inclusive environment within the University. Support Programs encompasses three (3) of ADI’s five (5) departments: TRiO Student Support Services (SSS), Promise Student Support Program (PSSP), and the THRIVE Scholars Program. These departments provide support and resources for marginalized students experiencing any identity-based barriers to their success at MSU.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Assist students in navigating their academic experience by assisting with proactive
academic planning, problem solving and connection to academic resources.
2. Work collaboratively with other units on campus to create specialized academic
initiatives and build a support network for PROMISE Scholars.
3. Monitor student progress by utilizing available technology and tracking systems.
4. Serve as a constant and immediate source of support for students.
5. Provide academic support and guidance for workshops and resources on topics such
as, study skills, time management, test-taking, career readiness, etc.
6. Serve as a liaison to college faculty and staff for the purpose of referrals and gaining
and disseminating needed information concerning students.
7. Track relevant and focused data to create reports and recommendations to Executive
Director of Support Programs regarding student satisfaction, retention, and utility of
8. Provide guidance to students regarding career choices.
9. Assist in identifying and implementing methods to improve experience and resources
of vulnerable student populations.
10. Other duties as required or assigned related.
Received: Receives supervision from the Associate Director for Support Programs
Given: Full supervisory responsibility to professional staff, graduate students, and
undergraduate student employees
Minimum Education: Master’s degree in a field/discipline related to the position
Experience (yrs.): 3 years' experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. Experience working with disadvantaged groups
2. Ability to manage co-curricular activities and/or academic support programs
3. Ability to analyze and synthesize quantitative and qualitative data
4. Prioritizes tasks and delegates effectively
5. Ability to lead high-impact initiatives from conception to implementation
6. Demonstrated ability to manage/coordinate multiple tasks
7. Independent, self-starter with strong work ethic
8. Excellent verbal and written skills
9. Excellent presentation skills
10. Ability to oversee and direct staff
11. Demonstrated strong commitment to the mission and vision for diversity, inclusion,
equity, and access
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
1. No unusual physical requirements. Requires limited lifting of files and records and
nearly all work is performed in a comfortable indoor facility.
2. Frequent- External imposed deadlines; set and revised beyond one’s control;
interruptions influence priorities; difficulty to anticipate nature or volume of work with
certainty beyond a few days; meeting of deadlines and coordination of unrelated
activities are key to position; involves conflict-resolution or similar interactions involving
emotion issues or stress on a regular basis.
3. Job frequently requires walking, sitting, reaching, talking, hearing, handling objects
4. Ability to occasionally work weekends and long hours.
Instructions for Applying:
Link to apply: http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu/
Applicants must apply online by completing application which includes the complete contact information for at least three professional references. Please attach cover letter and resume.
Condition of Employment:
As required by Executive Order 14042, If selected, you will be required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and submit documentation of proof of vaccination before beginning employment with the University.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.
What do I do if I need an accommodation?
In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with Mississippi State University, please contact the Department of Human Resources Management at tel: (662) 325-3713 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any questions regarding this policy, contact the Department of Human Resources Management at (662) 325-3713 or email@example.com. Upon request, sections of this job listing are available in large print, and readers are available to assist the visually impaired.