The position is responsible for greeting visitors, delivering exceptional customer service, providing tours as needed and managing the front desk for the Ulysses S. Grant Presidential Library museum. This entails answering calls, addressing visitor questions and needs, and providing an overall welcoming environment for all patrons. The position manages and coordinates sales, compiles reports, manages volunteers and performs administrative procedures as needed. This position requires the individual to be courteous, extremely organized, and comfortable multi-tasking in a fast-paced environment.
Salary Grade: 10
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
The University Libraries provide their communities of users an ongoing, creative and technologically advanced program
Area of Specialization:
Grant Presidential Library
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Applies knowledge of policies, procedures and national standards accepted by the MSU libraries
2. Utilizes technology to accomplish goals and objectives;
3. Participates in library committees as a representative of a functional area
4. Processes materials according to classification, circulation, and maintenance procedures.
5. Prepares and expedites orders for library material. Checks for accuracy upon receipt.
6. Prepares new material for circulation.
7. Assists patrons in use of systems and answers inquiries regarding library resources and policies.
8. Provides library users with information and assistance in retrieving materials.
9. Performs a variety of library and office support tasks.
10. Assembles and prepares a variety of information and data for reports, studies and other purposes.
11. May deliver or retrieve materials from other departmental offices and libraries.
12. Perform related duties as assigned.
High school diploma or equivalent. Three years of related experience. -or- Any equivalent combination of related experience and/or education approved by the Department of Human Resources Management.
Expertise in Excel and Microsoft Word
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Recruit, train and manage docents
• Manage docent schedules
• Maintain Grant Museum Gift Shop and conduct a monthly inventory
• Maintain Grant Museum Gift Shop financial records to include balancing and responsibility for the cash box
• Answer the front desk telephone, welcome and direct patrons and answer general questions
• Have knowledge regarding the U.S. Grant Presidential Library, the U.S. Grant Association, the Frank and Virginia Williams Collection of Lincolniana and the Congressional and Political Research Center
• Give tours of the area when needed
• Expertise in Excel and Microsoft Word
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
1. No unusual physical requirements. Requires no heavy lifting, and nearly all work is performed in a comfortable indoor facility.
2. Routine deadlines; usually sufficient lead time; variance in work volume seasonal and predictable; priorities can be anticipated; some interruptions are present; involves occasional exposure to demands and pressures from persons other than immediate supervisor.
3. Job frequently requires sitting, reaching, talking, hearing, and handling objects with hands.
4. Job occasionally requires standing, walking, stooping/kneeling/crouching/crawling, and lifting up to 10 pounds.
5. Vision requirements: Ability to see information in print and/or electronically.
Instructions for Applying:
Link to apply: http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu/
Condition of Employment:
As required by Executive Order 14042, If selected, you will be required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and submit documentation of proof of vaccination before beginning employment with the University.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.
What do I do if I need an accommodation?
In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with Mississippi State University, please contact the Department of Human Resources Management at tel: (662) 325-3713 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any questions regarding this policy, contact the Department of Human Resources Management at (662) 325-3713 or email@example.com. Upon request, sections of this job listing are available in large print, and readers are available to assist the visually impaired.