Performs various clerical and accounting tasks in support of an operating department/unit, to include posting entries, verifying, and reconciling input to financial reporting system output, processing payments, and/or assisting in preparation of billings and other financial reports. Responds to inquiries and contacts other departments and/or vendors to resolve a variety of problems.
Salary Grade: 09
Please see Staff Compensation Structure for salary ranges.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Assists in maintaining accounting system for department/unit. May participate in accounts receivable, accounts payable, purchasing, travel, personnel, or related functions and maintenance of records.
2. May prepare entries and post financial transactions; may reconcile entries and internal ledgers to financial reporting system reports.
3. Supervises the Federal Work Study program which includes preparing and processing payroll, determine program eligibility, maintain hiring and termination records, monitor student’s budgeted earning, liaison with participating departments, and respond to departmental requests.
4. Stay abreast of all Federal regulations in administering the Federal Work Study program.
5. May distribute, review, calculate, and process payroll time sheets and employment documents; verifies account numbers; maintains leave and other payroll records.
6. May research processing problems may contact departments to resolve problems and expedite payment and respond to inquiries by telephone or in writing; refers complex problems for solution.
7. Assists in preparation of financial statements such as billings, budgets, and cost reports.
8. Examines and audits payroll and resolves discrepancies. Participates in the maintenance of accounts receivable and accounts payable records.
9. Prepares special and regular accounting reports in Banner.
10. May answer telephones, open and log mail, meet and greet visitors, and assist in other clerical functions.
11. Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned by Associate Director.
High school diploma
Two to four years Directly related the duties and responsibilities specified.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. Basic data entry and/or word processing skills.
2. Ability to sort, check, count, and verify numbers.
3. Records maintenance skills.
4. Knowledge of payroll policies and procedures.
5. Knowledge of university accounting procedures involving procurement, travel, and/or employment.
6. Ability to prepare routine administrative paperwork.
7. Ability to perform simple accounting procedures.
8. Ability to analyze and solve problems.
9. Knowledge of cash management principles and/or procedures.
10. Account balancing skills.
11. Ability to use an automated accounting system.
12. Ability to prepare financial reports.
13. Knowledge of university invoicing procedures.
14. Knowledge of accounts payable procedures and practices.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
• Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment.
• No or very limited exposure to physical risk.
• No or very limited physical effort required.
Instructions for Applying:
Link to apply: http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu/
Applicants must apply online at www.msujobs.edu and attach a cover letter and resume.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.
What do I do if I need an accommodation?
In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with Mississippi State University, please contact the Department of Human Resources Management at tel: (662) 325-3713 or email@example.com.
If you have any questions regarding this policy, contact the Department of Human Resources Management at (662) 325-3713 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Upon request, sections of this job listing are available in large print, and readers are available to assist the visually impaired.