Research Associate is a full-time, regular position in the Weed Science Research program located at the Delta Research and Extension Center, Stoneville, MS. The ability to assume responsibility, carry out directed research, work independently or cooperatively with minimum supervision is essential. The individual must be able to work cooperatively with other team members and persons of various disciplines. The individual must demonstrate interest, enthusiasm, and a positive attitude for carrying out goals of the supervisor’s research program. The research involves extensive field, greenhouse, and laboratory work.
Salary Grade: 13
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
This position will be located at the Delta Research and Extension Center in Stoneville, MS.
Area of Specialization:
Anticipated Appointment Date:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Organization, performance and assistance in coordination of meetings, field days, and information exchanges with area and regional producers to extend weed science information to stakeholders.
2. Individual will be responsible for data tabulation and subsequent data analysis of all field and greenhouse experiments.
3. Prepare summary reports of research results, refereed manuscript, and present research results to various groups, including scientific meetings.
4. Handle, mix, and apply farm chemicals safely in the field or greenhouse.
5. Perform field, laboratory, greenhouse, and growth chamber routines such as inoculating, spraying, weighing, measuring, counting, handling soil, evaluating experiments, and planting and growing plants under defined conditions.
6. Organize and assist in field operations such as fertilizing, spraying, inoculating, plot maintenance, inventory and maintenance of equipment and supplies, and general cleanup of equipment and facilities or as assigned by supervisor.
7. Individual will be responsible for the implementation and care of various field, greenhouse, and laboratory experiments with minimal supervision.
8. May provide supervision to other employees
9. Other duties necessary for conducting weed science research as determined by the supervisor.
A B.S. Degree in Agronomy or related area of Plant and/or Soil Science with a minimum of three years’ experience in agricultural research or the equivalent is required. Experience in pest management is desirable. The individual must have a valid driver’s license. Training in EPA Worker Protection Standards is required. The individual must be capable of carrying out assigned research duties following supervisor’s instructions. Physical strength and endurance are needed to perform strenuous outdoor work under field conditions suitable for cotton, wheat, corn, and grain sorghum production.
Rank and salary will be commensurate with level of qualification.
A M.S. Degree in Agronomy (Weed Science) with at least 2 to 3 years of experience in the field of weed science. Experience in small plot research with multiple crops is desirable. Maintenance of chemical and equipment inventories associated with crop research programs, demonstrated ability to work in a team environment, and previous supervision of part time employees is desirable. Experience in operation of farm machinery is necessary.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
The individual must be competent in written and oral communication. Demonstrated publication record desirable. Competency in computer software such as Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, Agriculture Research Manager (ARM), SigmaPlot, JMP, and Statistical Analysis System (SAS) is necessary.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
Good dexterity as well as hand and eye coordination. Must be able to work around plant substances, dust, and farm chemicals. Physical strength and endurance are needed to perform strenuous outdoor work under hot, sunny field conditions for prolonged periods of time. The ability to work after normal work hours during peak seasons will be required.
Instructions for Applying:
Link to apply: http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu/
All applicants must apply online at http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu. Please submit resume, cover letter/letter of application and a list of 3 references with name, title, email address and contact number.
For additional information contact Dr. M.T. Bararpour Delta Research and Extension Center P.O. Box 197, Stoneville, MS 38776 or email@example.com 662-686-3232
June 2, 2022 until filled.
Position is contingent upon continued availability of funding.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.
What do I do if I need an accommodation?
In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with Mississippi State University, please contact the Department of Human Resources Management at tel: (662) 325-3713 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any questions regarding this policy, contact the Department of Human Resources Management at (662) 325-3713 or email@example.com. Upon request, sections of this job listing are available in large print, and readers are available to assist the visually impaired.