Performs and/or oversees a variety of associated administrative, fiscal, staff support, and planning activities for a Dean or large unit, some of which require advanced or specialized knowledge and skills, such as budget administration and control, equipment, facilities, and inventory management, specialized recordkeeping and database management, and/or specified information-gathering projects and tasks. Coordinates and facilitates meetings, program functions, and/or special events, as appropriate. Trains and oversees lower graded staff and/or students. May coordinate specified administrative activities and reporting across multiple organizational units within a department.
Salary Grade: 12
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
Anticipated Appointment Date:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Oversees and/or performs a range of diverse administrative activities for an organizational unit; serves as a central point of liaison with other departments and external constituencies in the resolution of a variety of day-to-day matters concerning the unit.
2. Utilizes knowledge and understanding of underlying operational issues to create, compose, and edit technical and/or administrative correspondence and documentation.
3. Assists in administrative problem solving, program/project planning, development, and execution of stated goals and objectives.
4. Researches information, compiles statistics, and gathers and computes various data; prepares special and/or one-time reports, summaries, or replies to inquiries, selecting relevant data from a variety of sources.
5. Monitors, reconciles, and assists with fiscal administration for the unit, including but not limited to budgets, funding, grants, contracts, payroll, employment, travel, and/or purchasing; may assist with fiscal planning, including participating in seeking alternate sources of funding.
6. Provides and/or oversees support activities for the unit such as answering telephones, assisting and resolving problems and inquiries of visitors, review and control of incoming and outgoing correspondence, and follow-up on operational commitments.
7. Schedules appointments and maintains calendars; schedules, coordinates and facilitates meetings, facilities usage, events, and/or travel arrangements, as required.
8. Establishes, updates, and maintains unit's files, inventories, and records; implements and maintains data management systems, as required.
9. Leads and guides the work of lower level staff, and supervises student employees as appropriate; may participate in hiring decisions and performance appraisal.
10. Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
Education: H.S. diploma or GED. General studies, Information Technology, Business Administration, Statistics, Economics or closely related fields.
Experience: Five (5) years.
An equivalent combination of related education and related experience may be considered for this position.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Working knowledge of word processing, spreadsheet, and database software packages.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
* Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment.
* No or very limited exposure to physical risk.
* No or very limited physical effort required.
Instructions for Applying:
Link to apply: http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu/
Apply online by submitting online application, cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references.
May 24, 2022 until filled.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.
What do I do if I need an accommodation?
In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with Mississippi State University, please contact the Department of Human Resources Management at tel: (662) 325-3713 or email@example.com.
If you have any questions regarding this policy, contact the Department of Human Resources Management at (662) 325-3713 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Upon request, sections of this job listing are available in large print, and readers are available to assist the visually impaired.