Responsible for managing sales and coordination of all conferences and events of the MSU Riley Center. Leads a staff in superior customer service through favorable interactions between the center and it's constituents.
Salary Grade: 16
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
The Mississippi State University Riley Center is a performing arts and conference center that opened in 2006 in Meridian, Mississippi. We host more than 25 performing arts events as well as over 100 conference events each year. Visit www.msurileycenter.com for more information.
Anticipated Appointment Date:
July 16, 2022
Tenure Track Status:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Develops operating objectives for the Riley Center; implements and administer procedures
to enhance operations with conferences, events and operations
2. Oversees day-to-day operations of the Riley Center; responds to inquiries and
research/resolve problems; aids in day-to-day administrative and operational issues.
3. Responds to incoming phone calls, emails, and/or RFP inquiries for conferences and
4. Oversees preparation of contracts, scheduling, and coordination of events
5. Coordinates with caterers, hotels, and other organizations involved in event planning
6. Directs event coordinators in executing deliverables identified in the client planning process
7. Coordinates with the technical manager and executive director regarding scheduling of the
Grand Opera House and major concerts
8. Holds and encourages strong customer service skills for self and team
9. Leads all front-facing customer service units of the center, including the box office, to excel
in creating and maintaining superb first impressions
10. Prepare, track, and analyze conference/events sales projections
11. Partners with the center’s retained agency on development of conference marketing
materials, advertising strategies, and social media presence
12. Evaluates the condition of physical plant resources on a regular basis and works with the
executive director and maintenance staff to ensure the facility excels in physical
13. Other duties as assigned
Bachelor's Degree with a minimum of four years of customer service-related experience.
1. Experience working within state procurement and contract requirements
2. Advanced educational training in business or a related hospitality field
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. Excels in interpersonal communication
2. Organized and attentive to detail
3. Writes clearly and succinctly
4. Self-starter with intuitive ability
5. Ability to work with a diverse constituency
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
1. Position requires ability to work a flexible schedule including some evenings, nights
2. Occasional and/or light lifting required. Limited exposure to elements such as heat, cold,
noise, dust, dirt, chemicals, etc., but none to the point of being disagreeable. May involve
minor safety hazards where likely result would be cuts, bruises, etc.
3. Routine deadlines; usually sufficient lead time; variance in work volume seasonal and
predictable; priorities can be anticipated; some interruptions are present; involves
occasional exposure to demands and pressures from persons other than immediate
4. Job frequently requires sitting, reaching, talking, hearing, handling objects with hands.
5. Job occasionally requires standing, walking, stooping/kneeling/crouching/crawling, and
lifting up to 25 pounds.
6. Vision requirements: Ability to see information in print and/or electronically.
Instructions for Applying:
Link to apply: http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu/
Applicant must apply at jobs.msstate.edu and attach a cover letter and resume.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.
What do I do if I need an accommodation?
In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with Mississippi State University, please contact the Department of Human Resources Management at tel: (662) 325-3713 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any questions regarding this policy, contact the Department of Human Resources Management at (662) 325-3713 or email@example.com. Upon request, sections of this job listing are available in large print, and readers are available to assist the visually impaired.