The graphic designer is part of the HPC2 Publishing Group and will support the HPC2 member research centers and institutes by creating high-quality graphic design and layouts that help to convey research information and data, as well as strategic University messaging to various audiences.
Salary Grade: 13
Please see Staff Compensation Structure for salary ranges.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Proficient in the latest Adobe Creative Suite and Microsoft Office software programs, such as InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, and Publisher.
2. The ability to create original customized vector graphics and logos.
3. Solid understanding of graphic design fundamentals including color, form and typography.
4. The ability to take direction and constructive feedback and be willing to adapt or rethink original ideas based on that feedback.
5. Communicate effectively, in both written and spoken form.
6. Have a knowledge of print production and pre-press processes and technologies.
7. Have a familiarity with higher education and the ability to relate with faculty members and students of diverse backgrounds.
8. Possess the inner drive and commitment to grow and develop professionally.
9. Submit rough layouts and conceptual thumbnails for project approval.
10. Other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s Degree in Fine Arts or Graphic Design or any related field
Two years of related and demonstratable experience working in a variety of media formats, including print, online web design with a university, business or organization
Any equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered as approved by HRM.
Graphic designer that has publications and pagination experience along with photography, videography, video editing, video graphics and animation skills.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Excellent organizational, management, communication and interpersonal skills
• Highly self-motivated and directed, with the ability to work both independently and in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
• Deadline-driven, energetic, detail-oriented team player.
• Self-starting, versatile designer who has the ability to work in a fast-paced environment and the drive to multitask on a variety of projects, large and small, while producing accurate, high quality, creative work.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
• No unusual physical requirements. Must be able to sit at a computer for extended periods of time. Requires limited lifting of files and records and nearly all work is performed in a comfortable indoor facility.
• Frequent external imposed deadlines' set and revised beyond one's control; interruptions influence priorities.
• Difficult to anticipate nature or volume of work with certainty beyond a few days.
• Meeting deadlines and coordination of unrelated activities are key to position
• Job frequently requires walking, sitting, reaching, talking, hearing, handling objects with hands; vision requirements; ability to see information in print and/or electronically.
Instructions for Applying:
Link to apply: http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu/
Apply online by submitting a cover letter, resume, and a copy of your transcript(s). Any social security numbers included on requested transcripts should be redacted prior to submitting online.
Position is contingent upon continued availability of funding.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.
What do I do if I need an accommodation?
In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with Mississippi State University, please contact the Department of Human Resources Management at tel: (662) 325-3713 or email@example.com.
If you have any questions regarding this policy, contact the Department of Human Resources Management at (662) 325-3713 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Upon request, sections of this job listing are available in large print, and readers are available to assist the visually impaired.