To install, maintain and repair routine electrical systems, facilities, appliances, and related equipment, including both high and low voltage systems
Salary Grade: ELC-1
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Installs, maintains and repairs wiring for all electrical systems, including but not limited to power distribution, conduit, lighting, motor controls, and communication lines for new construction and renovation.
2. Corrects malfunctions in equipment and circuits using voltmeter, ammeter, ohmmeter, and circuit analyzers.
3. Assists in loading and unloading tools, materials, supplies, and equipment.
4. May involve analyzing, isolating and correcting malfunctions in equipment and circuits using voltmeters, ammeters, ohmmeters and circuit analyzers.
5. Operate, repair and install basic communications and specialty systems, such as vehicle parking control systems, emergency lighting, computer wire and fiber optics.
6. Cut, thread, bend, and install conduit; pull wire; and tie-in electrical panels.
7. Disassemble, clean, repair, and reassemble a variety of electrical equipment following established procedures.
8. Be knowledgeable and comply with all safety and electrical codes. Inspect assigned jobs for compliance to the National Electric Code and University standards.
9. Provide technical information, advice, operating instructions, and similar information to supporting skilled trade's employees.
10. Erect and work from ladders, scaffolding, boom trucks and similar devices.
11. Interpret blueprints, diagrams, sketches, circuit diagrams, and job specifications.
12. Recommend items needed for purchase.
13. Document job time and materials.
14. May assist other trades as necessary.
15. Perform related duties as assigned.
Applies advanced skills in area of specialization. Adapts procedures, techniques, tools, materials and/or equipment to meet special needs. Equivalent to journeyman level in area of specialization. High school diploma or equivalent plus three to five years experience.
High school diploma or equivalent.
Experience in electrical practices.
Valid Driver's License and Journeyman Electrician Certification may be required for some positions.
Any equivalent combination of related experience and/or education approved by the Department of Human Resources Management.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Duties and tasks are varied and complex. Resolves most questions and problems and refers only the most complex issues to higher levels.
Works under minimal supervision. May assist in training and checking the work of lower level employees.
High School diploma or equivalent plus 3-5 years. Equivalent to journeyman level in area of specialization. Experience must include at least 3 years at the preceding level or equivalent.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
Regularly involves lifting, bending or other physical exertion. Often exposed to one or more elements such as heat, cold, noise, dust, dirt, chemicals, etc.
Routine deadlines; usually sufficient lead time; variance in work volume seasonal and predictable; priorities can be anticipated; some interruptions are present; travel or other inconveniences have advance notice; involves occasional exposure to demands and pressures from persons other than immediate supervisor.
Job frequently requires standing, walking, reaching, climbing or balancing, talking, hearing, handling objects with hands, and lifting up to 50 pounds.
Job occasionally requires sitting, stooping/kneeling/crouching/crawling, and lifting more than 100 pounds.
Vision requirements: Ability to see information in print and/or electronically, ability to distinguish colors.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.
What do I do if I need an accommodation?
In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with Mississippi State University, please contact the Department of Human Resources Management at tel: (662) 325-3713 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any questions regarding this policy, contact the Department of Human Resources Management at (662) 325-3713 or email@example.com. Upon request, sections of this job listing are available in large print, and readers are available to assist the visually impaired.