The Assistant Director of Student Success & Engagement will be responsible for leading initiatives and programs that support the leadership development and identity development of students at Mississippi State University. This position will design and facilitate programming that engages students in high impact practices to enhance their student experience and contribute to their overall success. The Assistant Director will also lead student engagement activities, facilitate workshops and trainings, assist with special projects, and serve on various committees.
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Develop, implement, and evaluate HCDC’s student leadership programs and other high impact practices through the diversity, equity, and inclusion lens.
2. Develop a structure in the Holmes Cultural Diversity Center for its student leaders to develop leadership, identity, and career readiness.
3. Monitor the retention and progression rates of student leadership program participants and produce data and reports.
4. Contribute to sustaining a welcoming and inclusive climate for people of different backgrounds, experiences, and social identities within the Holmes Cultural Diversity Center.
5. Supervise graduate assistants who are the advisors of student organizations and assist them in student organization advising.
6. Lead student engagement activities such as campus-wide programming, themed-month programming, target marketing and communications, etc.
7. Work in conjunction with the Associate Director of the Holmes Cultural Diversity Center to develop, assess, and implement programs and initiatives centered around diversity, equity, and inclusion.
8. Facilitate diversity, equity, and inclusion workshops and trainings for faculty, staff, and students.
9. Serve on divisional, university, and community committees as assigned or required.
10. Assist the Director of the Holmes Cultural Center with special projects.
11. Performs related duties as required
Master’s degree and three years of work experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified above. Experience in budgeting and must possess strong organizational, interpersonal, and management skills
Experience in higher education working with leadership and/or multicultural programs with underrepresented student populations
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Advanced knowledge of issues affecting diverse populations.
• Advanced cultural sensitivity and humility across the spectrum of diversity broadly defined.
• Ability to lead high initiatives from conception to implementation.
• Ability to produce reports and publications about diversity program innovations and impact
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Excellent presentation skills
• Ability to oversee and direct staff
• Demonstrated commitment to enhancing diversity and inclusion at the university
• Excellent interpersonal, communication, and advising skills.
• Sound judgement
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
• No unusual physical requirements. Requires limited lifting of files and records and nearly all work is performed in a comfortable indoor facility.
• Frequent- External imposed deadlines; set and revised beyond one’s control; interruptions influence priorities; difficulty to anticipate nature or volume of work with certainty beyond a few days; meeting of deadlines and coordination of unrelated activities are key to position; involves conflict-resolution or similar interactions involving emotion issues or stress on a regular basis
• Job frequently requires walking, sitting, reaching, talking, hearing, handling objects with hands
• Ability to work weekends and long hours
Instructions for Applying:
Link to apply: http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu/
Link to apply: http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu/
Applicants must apply online at www.msujobs.msstate.edu and attach a cover letter and resume.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.
What do I do if I need an accommodation?
In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with Mississippi State University, please contact the Department of Human Resources Management at tel: (662) 325-3713 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any questions regarding this policy, contact the Department of Human Resources Management at (662) 325-3713 or email@example.com. Upon request, sections of this job listing are available in large print, and readers are available to assist the visually impaired.