The National Strategic Planning & Analysis Research Center (NSPARC) at Mississippi State University invites applications for a Senior Software Project Manager). The successful candidate will be responsible for directing the software development team in the design, development, coding, testing and debugging of applications. While most often you will build consensus around technical decisions, you will also need to have the competencies necessary to take responsibility for making and enforcing technical decisions when necessary. You will also be responsible to ensure effective communication between team members and other functional areas. Additionally, you will also be expected to assist with product and process improvement and act as a technical mentor. This role is creator, leader, and mentor rolled into one.
Salary Grade: 17
Please see Staff Compensation Structure for salary ranges.
National Strategic Planning & Analysis Research Center (NSPARC) conducts research and creates customized solutions in areas of economic, workforce, business, and community development.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The following examples are intended as illustrations only of the various types of duties assigned in positions allocated to this classification. The absence of specific statements of duties does not exclude those tasks from the position. Supervise Software Project Manager personnel and organize workflow to ensure project tasks are completed accurately and on time.
1. Responsible for the timely delivery of high-quality, well-tested, secure software projects
2. Responsible for technology choices behind software development projects
3. Work closely with other managers and prioritize resource needs
4. Contribute to the codebase of projects
5. Lead and work with developers, business analysts, project managers, and other managers to estimate the effort required to accomplish proposed projects or changes
6. Serve as an interface between the development team and management
7. Mentor new and junior developers, business analysts, and project managers
8. Assist with hiring and reviewing performance of staff
9. Provide experienced perspective to assist with troubleshooting
10. Bring broader perspective to detail-oriented teams
11. Perform related duties as assigned.
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Information Systems, or related discipline.
• 3 years of demonstrated experience in application development environment
• Must be a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident
Master’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Information Systems, or related discipline.
• AWS or Azure Certification
• 5 years of demonstrated experience in application development environment
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Ability to understand and predict the needs of customers
• Able to remove distractions from fulfilling the needs of customers
• Possess broad knowledge about software development platforms and environments.
• Understand software design patterns
• Understand how to participate in a scrum development environment
• Be organized and efficiently use the team's time
• Be perceptive and able to notice signs of impending frustration or conflicts
• Possess good instincts about when to help and when to give someone the space to figure something out
• Possess good troubleshooting instincts
• Possess excellent written and spoken communication skills, including the abilities to 1) communicate good news and bad news, 2) communicate under pressure, 3) get to the point while remaining comprehensive and clear, 4) edit and improve team documentation, manuals, and presentations
• Able to work under the pressure of tight deadlines
• Strong familiarity with application hosting including traditional server environments
(Linux), and commercial cloud environments (AWS, Azure)
• A strong understanding of DNS, HTTP communication, and a basic understanding of web and mobile application security
• Understanding of CAP theorem, and its ramification in the software decision making process
• Good data design sensibilities including the ability to understand logical data models, use SQL (MySQL) to answer questions from an existing schema, the ability to design new relational or document-based schemas, and familiarity with ORM
• Strong understanding of Java development, including the Spring framework and Spring Boot which is used in most of our projects.
• Strong understanding of frontend development, including Angular which is used in most of our projects.
• Strong understanding of mobile development, including iOS and Android.
• Able to understand a continuous integration/ continuous delivery software development lifecycle and tools used for deployment
• Able to review and understand Java, Angular, Swift, and Katlin code.
• Able to use a code repository (git) and understand branching and code promotion
• Able to use Atlassian tools (Jira, Confluence wiki, Bitbucket, and Bamboo)
• Able to work with remote developers or QA testers
• Good, basic design and layout instincts and the ability to explain concepts, user interfaces, and processes visually with a diagramming tool like Lucid Chart.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
• No unusual physical requirements. Requires limited lifting of files and records and nearly all work is performed in a comfortable indoor facility.
• Job occasionally requires travel and work to be performed outside of regular office hours.
• Job requires the ability to come to office on short notice.
• Frequent- External imposed deadlines; set and revised beyond one’s control; interruptions influence priorities; difficult to anticipate nature or volume of work with certainty beyond a few days; meeting of deadlines and coordination of unrelated activities are key to position; involves conflict-resolution or similar interactions involving emotional issues or stress on a regular basis.
• Job frequently requires walking, sitting, reaching, talking, hearing, handling objects with hands.
• Vision requirements: Ability to see information in print and/or electronically.
Instructions for Applying:
Applicants should complete online application at www.jobs.msstate.edu and upload a cover letter and current resume. Applicants should also submit two letters of recommendation (mailed by writers under separate cover), an official transcript for terminal degree and terminal diploma (provide English translation if necessary).
Address all supporting materials and reference letters to:
Chair, Lead Application Developer Selection Committee
National Strategic Planning & Analysis Research Center
P.O. Box 6027
Mississippi State, MS 39762
Please email all queries to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Position is contingent upon continued availability of funding.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.
What do I do if I need an accommodation?
In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with Mississippi State University, please contact the Department of Human Resources Management at tel: (662) 325-3713 or email@example.com.
If you have any questions regarding this policy, contact the Department of Human Resources Management at (662) 325-3713 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Upon request, sections of this job listing are available in large print, and readers are available to assist the visually impaired.