Mange the marketing and promotion activities for the Raspet Flight Research Laboratory (Raspet) at Mississippi State University (MSU). This position will specialize in publication and communication through print, web-based design, social media, and other strategies. This position may also create, edit, revise, and coordinate major proposals, white papers, technical reports, and other written deliverables associated with Raspet’s broad spectrum of aviation research. The Communication Manager will also help plan and implement organizational support projects.
Salary Grade: 15
Please see Staff Compensation Structure for salary ranges.
Mississippi State University's Raspet Flight Research Laboratory (RFRL) is a historic, nationally recognized leader in the field of experimental aviation research. Founded in 1948, Raspet stands out as one of the University's most long standing and prominently established research entities with a 70-year history of excellence. True to its heritage, today Raspet continually advances modern concepts in experimental aviation through the research, development, testing, and evaluation of Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) and their associated technologies.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The following examples are intended as illustrations only of the various types of duties assigned in positions allocated to this classification. The absence of specific statements of duties does not exclude those tasks from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment of the position.
1. Coordinate the marketing initiative for Raspet with MSU administration, MSU Office of Public Affairs (OPA), and the MSU Foundation. Collaborate on projects with the Office of Research and Economic Development and other MSU Departments.
2. Work collaboratively with OPA to ensure compliance with all university marketing and communication standards.
3. Develop and oversee comprehensive marketing and communication strategies for Raspet including print materials, web content, social media, and other strategies.
4. Manage resources, develop project priorities, and create plans for divisional marketing and communication activities.
5. Increase the visibility of Raspet among other universities and partners through announcements of research milestones, research awards, appointments, etc.
6. Assist with the preparation of Raspet’s annual report.
7. Write a variety of promotional items such as press releases, social media alerts, articles, occasional features, and brochures, to market and further the development relationships with the department and promote the department's programs.
8. In conjunction with MSU Information and Technology Services, provide new content, development and maintenance on the department’s websites.
9. Enhance and extend the department’s brand through all media to promote core values and attributes.
10. Electronic imaging, editing and design of presentation graphics and publications.
11. Implement creative direction and provide design production for advertising, direct mail and publication & communication materials.
12. Assist with the development and execution of departmental events and activities.
13. Develop and maintain technical expertise in the fields of aviation, unmanned systems, robotics, sensors, systems integration, test protocols & procedures, and other key technical areas of Raspet’s focus.
14. Write, edit, research, and/or revise a variety of effective and persuasive technical and marketing materials such as proposals, press releases, articles, features, brochures, publications, annual reports, web content, and other marketing and development tools to support Raspet's identification, capture, and execution of high-value research projects.
15. Ensure that key messages and critical issues are accurately and consistently presented across documents.
16. Collaborate with the Director, staff, and associated faculty of Raspet on information and materials for assigned projects.
17. Ensure accuracy and completeness of technical documentation and marketing materials.
18. As funds are available, establish and maintain promotional and marketing items supporting organizational awareness, outreach, and success.
19. Assist as needed with the organizational outreach program.
20. Other duties as assigned.
Bachelor's degree with focus in Fine Arts, Communications or related field
3-5 years experience
1. Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office products including familiarity with electronic document management systems and website maintenance.
2. Excellent knowledge of Associated Press (AP) style and news writing styles.
Any equivalent combination of education and experience approved by the Department of Human Resources Management.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively with university officials, faculty, prominent alumni and friends of Raspet i.e., multiple and varied constituencies
• Strong Graphic Design skills
• Ability to work with multiple projects and assignments concurrently
• Ability to work independently and manage and prioritize own workload.
• Excellent writing and editing skills
• Ability and desire to keep track of document and project details, work quickly and efficiently on documents and tasks while still maintaining high quality in work.
• Must be able to thoughtfully compile and decipher information to create interesting media/news stories.
• A good understanding of the production and printing process
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
• Ability to lift 50-100lbs.
• Position requires some travel.
• Limited exposure to physical risk.
Instructions for Applying:
Link to apply: http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu/
Position is contingent upon continued availability of funding.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.
What do I do if I need an accommodation?
In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with Mississippi State University, please contact the Department of Human Resources Management at tel: (662) 325-3713 or email@example.com.
If you have any questions regarding this policy, contact the Department of Human Resources Management at (662) 325-3713 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Upon request, sections of this job listing are available in large print, and readers are available to assist the visually impaired.