Assist and implement research projects at the MAFES – Brown Loam Branch Experience Station. Research projects will be focused on row crops, livestock and/or forages.
Employees hired into Intermittent positions are limited to working no more than 720 hours per fiscal year.
Salary Grade: 10
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
Position located at Brown Loam Branch Experiment Station in Raymond, MS.
Anticipated Appointment Date:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1) Work under the direction of Station Facilities Coordinator and/or scientists to properly set up and implement research projects focused on row crops, livestock and/or forages.
2) Operates heavy farm equipment to prepare land, plant crops/forages, apply fertilizers and herbicides/pesticides, and harvest agronomic crops and forages.
3) Assists with the care of livestock used in animal studies, and for production at the station.
4) May perform general maintenance on buildings and grounds to include fences, gates, feed troughs, etc.
5) Performs landscape maintenance such as mowing grass, weeding, painting and cleaning building facilities.
6) May assist with cleaning and servicing vehicles and equipment.
7) Works with other field staff in a collaborative team environment to implement research projects guided by scientists.
8) Other duties as assigned.
Education: High school diploma
Experience: One year (Six months of experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified and six months of general experience).
Certifications and/or Licensures:
1. Valid driver’s license.
2. Must obtain a Certified Pesticide Applicators Certificate within 90 days of employment or complete the worker/handler training, whichever is applicable.
An equivalent combination of related education and related experience may be considered for this position.
Farm work experience preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Able to work well with others and contribute to the planning and prioritization of assignments.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
1. Ability to work in extreme weather conditions such as heat, cold, dust, dirt, chemicals, etc.
2. Requires heavy physical work; heavy lifting, pushing, or pulling required of objects up to 50 pounds. Job occasionally requires climbing or balancing, and lifting more than 100 pounds.
Instructions for Applying:
Link to apply: http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu/
Apply online at msujobs.msstate.edu. Applicants may call Terri Shaw at (601)892-3731 with any questions regarding the online application process.
September 26, 2022 until filled.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.
What do I do if I need an accommodation?
In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with Mississippi State University, please contact the Department of Human Resources Management at tel: (662) 325-3713 or email@example.com.
If you have any questions regarding this policy, contact the Department of Human Resources Management at (662) 325-3713 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Upon request, sections of this job listing are available in large print, and readers are available to assist the visually impaired.