Provides administrative support in maintaining a general accounting system for a division, department, or other separately budgeted unit by performing a variety of accounting duties.
Salary Grade: 12
Please see Staff Compensation Structure for salary ranges.
Area of Specialization:
Orientation and Events
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Ensure effective communication and customer service with prospective students and their parents to provide the best possible experience for guests.
2. Utilize Slate, our Customer Relationship Management (CRM) system, including keying in monetary charges to event details allowing prospective students and guests to register for upcoming events on campus.
3. Manage daily phone and email communication within the office.
4. Reconciles and assists with fiscal administration for the department/unit, including but not limited to budgets, funding, grants, contracts, payroll, employment, travel, and/or purchasing; may assist with fiscal planning, including participating in seeking alternate sources of funding.
5. Maintains an efficient system of receiving, posting, and depositing revenue and receiving, verifying, posting, and processing vouchers for payment of goods and services.
6. Prepares requisitions for purchases; communicate with vendors for prices, bids, and other information.
7. Prepares journal entries to record income, expenditures, interest, fund transfers, encumbrances, etc.
8. Transfers funds between accounts following established guidelines.
9. Prepares various accounting schedules, statements, and reports for monthly and annual reporting.
10. Reconciles division financial records with university accounting records.
11. Gathers data for budget preparation and inventory reports; prepares or assists in the preparation of the annual budget, and procures all supplies, furniture, and office equipment.
12. Maintains files and records in support of accounting data.
13. Performs departmental ITS functions.
14. Performs related duties as assigned
This position has no supervisory responsibilities but may give general instructions to clerical and/or student employees.
The above essential duties are representative of major duties of positions in this position. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary based upon departmental needs. Other duties may be assigned to the above consistent with the knowledge, skills and abilities required for the job. Not all of the duties may be assigned to a position.
Education: High school diploma
Experience (yrs.): 4 years directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
Indicated education is required; no substitutions allowed.
When a candidate has the required education, but lacks the required experience, they may normally apply additional appropriate education toward the experience requirement, at a rate of one (1) year relevant education per year of required experience.
1. Bachelor’s degree in accounting or business.
2. Experience in fund accounting.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
* Knowledge and previous experience using spreadsheet software program.
* Ability to operate computer keyboard and 10-key electronic calculator.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
* Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment.
* No or very limited exposure to physical risk.
* No or very limited physical effort required.
Instructions for Applying:
Applicants must apply online at www.msujobs.msstate.edu and attach a cover letter and resume.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.
What do I do if I need an accommodation?
In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with Mississippi State University, please contact the Department of Human Resources Management at tel: (662) 325-3713 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any questions regarding this policy, contact the Department of Human Resources Management at (662) 325-3713 or email@example.com. Upon request, sections of this job listing are available in large print, and readers are available to assist the visually impaired.