Mississippi State University is seeking applications for a researcher position in modeling complex systems related to animal production and health.
Salary Grade: 13
Please see Staff Compensation Structure for salary ranges.
Area of Specialization:
Genomics, Computational Biology, Machine learning, Statistical models for complex data.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Develop new computational models of complex dynamic systems related to animal production and health to predict disease dynamics. Methods may include machine learning, mathematical, statistical, as well as systems biology models and big data approaches.
- Develops advanced scientific research projects and acts as a principal investigator or co-principal investigator.
- Designs, develops and tests new equipment, instruments, reagents, and/or experimental protocols for research (including hardware, software, statistical methods, etc.).
- Researches and stays current with project related scientific literature.
- Sets up new methods or assays to accomplish scientific objectives.
- Identifies and implements creative solutions to overcome problems
- Organizes, interprets data, and derives study conclusions.
- May manage and train research staff to achieve research goals.
- Collaborates with internal and external investigators on multiple research projects ensuring scientific significance and feasibility.
- Summarizes results of studies in the form of scientific abstracts and manuscripts.
- Serves as a resource to provide scientific information needed for various initiatives.
- Contributes to teaching activities by preparing and presenting educational seminars.
- Assists with grant/contract preparation by researching background, significance, and planning statistics.
- Attends national conferences and presents results of scientific studies.
- Participates in professional societies and conferences appropriate to the incumbent’s specific field/discipline.
The candidates must have a Master's degree preferably in Computational biology/Computer Science or a related field, must demonstrate experience in working with biological data and infectious diseases.
1. Beginning with a master’s degree:
a. A professional employee with a master’s degree and a minimum of 1 year of relevant experience and demonstrated competency can begin work at the Research Associate II level.
b. To begin at the Research Associate III level, one must have a master’s degree and a minimum of 3 years of experience.
c. To begin at the Senior Research Associate level, one must have a master’s degree and a minimum of 6 years of experience.
2. Beginning with a doctoral degree:
a. A professional employee with a doctoral degree with 2 years of relevant experience and demonstrated competence can begin work at the Research Associate III level.
b. To begin at the Senior Research Associate level, one must have a doctoral degree and a minimum of 3 years of relevant experience.
Demonstrated experience with machine learning approaches for complex data analysis and modeling, utilizing/developing novel computational/statistical analysis tools for big data, preferably in an HPC environment.
Instructions for Applying:
Applicants must apply online. Qualified persons should submit a letter of application briefly outlining interests and qualifications, including pertinent experience, along with a resume, transcripts, all transcripts need to have SSN redacted, and the names and contact information for three references.
Position is contingent upon continued availability of funding.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.
What do I do if I need an accommodation?
In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with Mississippi State University, please contact the Department of Human Resources Management at tel: (662) 325-3713 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any questions regarding this policy, contact the Department of Human Resources Management at (662) 325-3713 or email@example.com. Upon request, sections of this job listing are available in large print, and readers are available to assist the visually impaired.