Provides administrative support in maintaining a general accounting system for a division, department, or other separately budgeted unit by performing a variety of accounting duties.
Salary Grade: 12
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Reconcile and assist with fiscal administration for the department/unit, including but not limited to budgets, funding, grants, contracts, payroll, employment, travel, and/or purchasing; may assist with fiscal planning, including participating in seeking alternate sources of funding.
2. Maintain an efficient system of receiving, posting, and depositing revenue and receiving, verifying, posting, and processing vouchers for payment of goods and services.
3. Prepare requisitions for purchases; communicate with vendors for prices, bids, and other information.
4. Prepare journal entries to record income, expenditures, interest, fund transfers, encumbrances, etc.
5. Transfer funds between accounts following established guidelines.
6. Prepare various accounting schedules, statements, and reports for monthly and annual reporting.
7. Reconcile division financial records with university accounting records.
8. Gathers data for budget preparation and inventory reports; prepares or assists in the preparation of the annual budget, and procures all supplies, furniture, and office equipment.
9. Maintain files and records in support of accounting data.
10. Perform related duties as assigned.
Education: High school diploma
Experience (yrs.): 4-6 years Directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
Indicated education is required; no substitutions allowed.
When a candidate has the required education, but lacks the required experience, they may normally apply additional appropriate education toward the experience requirement, at a rate of one (1) year relevant education per year of required experience.
1. Bachelor’s degree in accounting or business.
2. Experience in fund accounting.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
* Knowledge and previous experience using spreadsheet software program.
* Ability to operate computer keyboard and 10-key electronic calculator.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
* Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment.
* No or very limited exposure to physical risk.
* No or very limited physical effort required.
Instructions for Applying:
Link to apply: http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu/
Applicants must apply online at www.msujobs.msstate.edu and attach a cover letter and resume.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.
What do I do if I need an accommodation?
In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with Mississippi State University, please contact the Department of Human Resources Management at tel: (662) 325-3713 or email@example.com.
If you have any questions regarding this policy, contact the Department of Human Resources Management at (662) 325-3713 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Upon request, sections of this job listing are available in large print, and readers are available to assist the visually impaired.