To assist the veterinary care team in provision of animal care and treatment for a wide range of animals used in search, teaching and/or client-owned animals.
Salary Grade: 11
Please see Staff Compensation Structure for salary ranges.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Provide basic animal care for various species of animals. Animal care includes cleaning and changing out cages, cleaning stalls and animal runs. Feeding, watering, observations and record keeping.
2. Assist the veterinary care team with the safe handling of various species of animals.
3. Assist the veterinary care team with the collection of biologic samples for diagnostic testing to aid in the determination of patient health.
4. Perform under the direction of the veterinary care team the treatment for various species of animals as dictated by the veterinarian.
5. Maintain records on animal health, services provided, and capture of associated fees in compliance with standard practices.
6. Administer animal treatments under the direction of a veterinarian.
7. Work schedule includes weekends and may vary from week to week.
8. Responsible for cleaning exam rooms and equipment.
9. Responsible for stocking supplies.
10. Assist in restraining animals for examinations and medical procedures.
11. Performs related duties as assigned.
High school diploma or equivalent with four years' experience caring for animals in a dairy, veterinary clinic, research institution, or related environment. -or-
Bachelor's degree in Animal or Biological Science or related field with no experience. -or-
Any equivalent combination of related experience and/or education approved by the Department of Human Resources Management.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Excellent telephone and email communication skills, especially related to client service
- Ability to use Word, Excel, Email programs
- Ability to learn and use hospital management software
- Ability to lift, stoop and bend
- Ability to lift up to 40 pounds
- Ability to handle, load, restrain, and work with large and companion animals
- Ability to walk and stand on feet for prolonged periods of time
- Must possess a valid driver's license
- Must be capable of working in a team environment comprised of doctors, staff and students to provide veterinary care of patients and aid in the instruction of veterinary students and veterinary technology students
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
- Frequent - Externally imposed deadlines; set and revised beyond one's control; interruptions influence priorities; difficult to anticipate nature or volume of work with certainty beyond a few days; meeting of deadlines and coordination of related activities are key to position.
- Job frequently requires walking, sitting, reaching, talking, hearing, handling objects with hands.
- Job requires standing, stooping/kneeling/crouching/crawling, and lifting up to 50 pounds.
- Job requires use of computer keyboard in the performance of duties.
- Vision requirements: Ability to see information in print and/or electronically.
Instructions for Applying:
Applicants must apply online.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.
What do I do if I need an accommodation?
In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with Mississippi State University, please contact the Department of Human Resources Management at tel: (662) 325-3713 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any questions regarding this policy, contact the Department of Human Resources Management at (662) 325-3713 or email@example.com. Upon request, sections of this job listing are available in large print, and readers are available to assist the visually impaired.