The Marketing and Communications Coordinator reports to the Assistant Director for Occupancy Management and assists with integrated communications including graphic design, producing media for the web, public relations, marketing and special events for Housing and Residence Life, with 4,600+ students in 16 residence halls. The Marketing and Communications Coordinator is responsible for coordinating the design and coordination of all publications for the department as well as the design and oversight of marketing and public relations events and campaigns.
The position requires independent action based on knowledge of departmental policy and views of the Executive Director of Housing and Residence Life, Director for Residential Education & Occupancy Management, and Assistant Director for Occupancy Management in communicating with students, parents, and other clients. This position requires various degrees of knowledge pertaining to several University online systems including the Housing StarRez system and the main campus system - Banner. Excellent written and oral communication skills are required for effective communication with students, parents, department staff, and other University departments and constituents. Candidates should have a demonstrated ability to manage projects independently and also work effectively as part of a team.
Salary Grade: 14
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
The Department of Housing and Residence Life strives to create a "home away from home" where students are individually and collectively challenged and supported in the journey to become mature, contributing citizens in a global community.
In support of the mission of Mississippi State University and the Division of Student Affairs, the Department of Housing and Residence Life cultivates an on-campus environment that promotes student success, engages students through intentional interactions, and challenges them to learn and grow beyond the classroom.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The following examples are intended as illustrations only of the various types of duties assigned to the position. The absence of specific statements of duties does not exclude those tasks from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment of the position.
1. Serve as a key member of the department's Occupancy Management team to maintain a working knowledge of the processes and timelines associated with housing assignments in order to effectively and proactively communicate with and respond to concerns of students and parents.
2. Serve as the department liaison with the divisional marketing and communications team, Office of Public Affairs, and other campus administrators to create and publish publications for the department as well as ensure proper implementation of University and department graphic and visual identity standards.
3. Advise professional and student staff as well as housing student organizations on publications and graphic design projects.
4. Serve as the Social Media Coordinator for the department by administering the housing Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter pages.
5. In coordination with the Assistant Director for Occupancy Management and the Housing Assignments team, develop and maintain an annual communication and correspondence plan for housing assignments.
6. Responsible for maintaining up-to-date university and departmental information to be used in communication to prospective and current residents.
7. Manage content of the department website.
8. Coordinate with the Office of Parent Services and the Division of Student Affairs to include housing information in regular newsletters and announcements and explore creative ways to partner with parents and other key constituents.
9. Coordinate and staff special events/ceremonies, as needed (i.e. Dedication Ceremonies, Awards Banquets, MVNU2MSU, etc.).
10. Draft and/or review correspondence for all units within the department, as requested.
11. Coordinate the department's participation in on and off-campus recruiting events (may involve some travel).
12. Serve on departmental, divisional, and/or university-wide committees as needed.
13. Active involvement with state, regional, and/or national professional associations in order to enhance professional knowledge and technical skills.
14. Coordinate daily housing tours of residence halls for individuals and groups in conjunction with the Office of Admissions and Scholarships.
15. Coordinate and staff event (Scholars Recognition Day, Academic Insight Day, Orientation, etc.) housing tours in conjunction with Orientation and Events.
16. Supervise a team of student staff marketing assistants.
Bachelor's Degree in Communication Public relations, graphic design, marketing, journalism, or Bachelor's degree in unrelated field.
Two-years' experience in communications or design field
1. Three years’ work experience in communication, public relations, or related field
2. Master’s degree in communication, public relations, or related field
3. Previous experience with college student housing or higher education
4. Project management experience
5. Experience in supervision and evaluation of student(s)/employee(s)
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. Excellent human relations, organizational and communication skills
2. Knowledgeable and practices skills related to marketing and communications
3. Proficient knowledge of computer applications such as Microsoft suite, Adobe Creative Suite, (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop)
4. Knowledge of web-based communication usage and styles
5. Knowledge of graphic design techniques and software
6. Supervision of student staff
7. Ability to work independently and as a member of a team
8. Ability to coordinate the work of others and/or supervise employees
9. Proficient in graphic design, Web/electronic media, digital photography, and multimedia presentations
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
1. Must be able to lift up to 30 lbs.
2. Must be able to walk stairs
Instructions for Applying:
Link to apply: http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu/
Applications must be submitted through the Human Resources Management Website at http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu by completing the online application and submitting a cover letter, resume, and three references.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.
What do I do if I need an accommodation?
In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with Mississippi State University, please contact the Department of Human Resources Management at tel: (662) 325-3713 or email@example.com.
If you have any questions regarding this policy, contact the Department of Human Resources Management at (662) 325-3713 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Upon request, sections of this job listing are available in large print, and readers are available to assist the visually impaired.