Manages and coordinates the business operations of a department/unit. Performs duties required to maintain and administer departmental budgets; administers staff policies and/or procedures; compiles reports; performs administrative procedures.
Salary Grade: 15
Please see Staff Compensation Structure for salary ranges.
The Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering is one of the eight academic departments in the Bagley College of Engineering. The Department offers an ABET-accredited bachelor's program in Industrial Engineering at the Starkville and Engineering on the Coast Campus, as well as master's and doctoral degrees (Starkville campus and online). The undergraduate enrollment is 227 students, and the graduate enrollment is 38 master's students and 67 doctoral students. The website is www.ise.msstate.edu.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Maintain department/unit budget and provides budgetary reports to the department head.
2. Coordinates with other University departments to process financial and personnel transactions. Communicates with the Controller’s office, Procurement and Contracts office on all activities related to accounts receivable and accounts payable for assigned budget. Prepare interdepartmental transfers and budget transfers between budgetary units as required.
3. Reconcile and balance financial records with the Controller’s office on a regular basis, audit financial records for accuracy, availability of funds and conformance to University and departmental policy and procedure.
4. Coordinate financial aspects of research proposals, contracts, and sub-contracts, including the development of budget, proposal preparation, uploading of proposal documents into proposal submission systems, and adherence to funding requirements; serves as a liaison with university administrators, state, federal, and private funding sources. Assist with post award of all grants and contracts.
5. May participate in development, implementation and maintenance of policies, objectives, short-and long-range planning; develops and implements projects and programs to assist in the accomplishment of established goals.
6. Communicate with staff concerning business matters and advise of proper procedures. Stay abreast of University financial and personnel policies and procedures. Coordinate and maintain personnel functions for assigned unit/department.
7. Complete new hire paperwork processing for faculty, staff and graduate assistantships. Coordinate payment of tuition/insurance with the Graduate School.
8. Participates in the development and implementation of department/unit programs and projects consistent with organizational objectives, contractual arrangements, and/or funding availability.
9. Assists with the development and management of annual operating budget(s).
10. Assists in preparing annual budget based upon previous year's expenses and future requirements.
11. Develops and implements systems to maintain records on employees, equipment and compliance activities.
12. Other duties as assigned by Department Head.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Accounting, Finance or other appropriate discipline
Experience (yrs.): 1 year directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Skill in organizing resources and establishing priorities.
• Ability to foster a cooperative work environment.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
• Knowledge of customer service principles, techniques, systems, and standards.
• Skill in budget management.
• Knowledge of faculty and/or staff hiring procedures.
• Knowledge and understanding of business management principles and practices.
• Skill in the use of personal computers and related software applications.
• Skill using BANNER system.
• Skill using PageUp system.
• Ability to develop and maintain recordkeeping systems and procedures.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
• Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment.
• No or very limited exposure to physical risk.
• No or very limited physical effort required.
• Vision requirements: Ability to see information in print and/or electronically.
Instructions for Applying:
All applicants should submit their application at https://www.msujobs.msstate.edu/. Attach a cover letter and resume with names and contact information of three professional references.
Position is contingent upon continued availability of funding.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.
What do I do if I need an accommodation?
In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with Mississippi State University, please contact the Department of Human Resources Management at tel: (662) 325-3713 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any questions regarding this policy, contact the Department of Human Resources Management at (662) 325-3713 or email@example.com. Upon request, sections of this job listing are available in large print, and readers are available to assist the visually impaired.