Supervises all farm field duties at the Delta Research & Extension Center; maintains accurate records of all chemicals and procedures done to farm fields; repairs farm equipment.
Salary Grade: 12
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
This position is located at the Delta Research and Extension Center.
Area of Specialization:
Anticipated Appointment Date:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The following examples are intended as illustrations only of the various types of duties assigned in positions allocated to this classification. The absence of specific statements of duties does not exclude those tasks from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment of the position.
- Coordinates use of Farm Services inventoried equipment, as requested by technicians; ex. tractors, implements.
- Directs land preparation and planting.
- Instructs employees of daily tasks to be carried out and ensure that standard operating procedures are followed.
- Harvests production crops and aids in research plot harvest where Farm Service equipment is needed.
- Maintains daily log of Farm inputs performed on each research plot requested by researchers.
- Mixes, calibrates, and maintains all chemical applications used by farm crew.
- Trains employees with new operating techniques and safe operating procedures with equipment.
- Oversees farm equipment repairs and maintenance as required to ensure equipment is working properly.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
- Aids in maintaining proper fertility needs for the farm.
- Directs employees in road, ditch, and field work as it relates to drainage.
- Coordinates irrigation needs for scientists and farm, setting motors, scheduling watering, maintenance of motors.
- High School diploma or GED.
- Four years of related experience in general and technical farming operations with three years in a supervisory capacity.
- Must have a valid MS Driver’s license.
- Must obtain a Certified Pesticide Applicators Certificate within 90 days of employment.
An equivalent combination of related education and related experience may be considered for this position.
A Bachelor’s degree in a related field.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of agricultural research procedures through prior on the job training or research course work.
- Ability to calibrate farm chemical applicators.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
Regularly involves lifting, bending or other physical exertion. Often exposed to one or more elements such as heat, cold, noise, dust, dirt, chemicals, etc.
Routine deadlines; usually sufficient lead time; variance in work volume seasonal and predictable; priorities can be anticipated; some interruptions are present; involves occasional exposure to demands and pressures from persons other than immediate supervisor.
Job frequently requires standing, walking, reaching, stooping/kneeling/crouching/crawling, talking, hearing, handling objects with hands, and lifting up to 50 pounds. Job occasionally requires sitting, climbing, or balancing, and lifting more than 100 pounds.
Vision requirements: Ability to see information in print and/or electronically.
Instructions for Applying:
Link to apply: http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu/
All applicants must apply online at https://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu and attach a resume and a list of three professional references.
For more information contact:
November 25, 2022 until filled.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.
What do I do if I need an accommodation?
In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with Mississippi State University, please contact the Department of Human Resources Management at tel: (662) 325-3713 or email@example.com.
If you have any questions regarding this policy, contact the Department of Human Resources Management at (662) 325-3713 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Upon request, sections of this job listing are available in large print, and readers are available to assist the visually impaired.