The Administrative Assistant’s responsibilities chiefly fall within the following core functions, although she/he may perform other tasks as needed.
• Administrative Support for the Department Head
• Business Office Support
• General Staff Responsibilities
Salary Grade: 11
Please see Staff Compensation Structure for salary ranges.
Part of the Bagley College of Engineering, the department has approximately 680 undergraduate majors and 85 graduate students. The department offers undergraduate programs in Computer Science and Software Engineering, jointly administers an undergraduate program in Computer Engineering with the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, and is in the process to offer a Cybersecurity undergraduate program soon. At the graduate level, we offer M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in Computer Science and M.S. degree in Cyber Security and Operations, and the faculty directs graduate students in Computational Engineering. Certificates in Information Assurance, Cyber Operations and Computational Biology are also available. In the last fiscal year, research expenditures totaled to about $6 million dollars. Research core areas for the department are security and cryptography, artificial intelligence, computational science, visualization and graphics, bioinformatics, parallel and distributed computing, software engineering, human-robot interaction, augmented and virtual reality, and computer science education. Faculty in the department are active in many university research centers such as the Center for Advanced Vehicular Systems, the Center for Cyber Innovation, the Center for Computational Science, and the Institute for Genomics, Biocomputing & Biotechnology. Mississippi State University has been designated as a National Center of Academic Excellence in Cyber Operations, Cyber Defense Research and Cyber Defense Education by the National Security Agency. The High Performance Computing Collaboratory at Mississippi State University houses a collection of supercomputers, among which Orion is the 4th fastest in U.S. academia.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Performs a wide variety of clerical duties which could be confidential in nature; operates personal computer to perform basic to complex typing assignments to include: enter data, draft, edit, revise, and print letters, tables, reports, and other materials.
2. May greet and direct visitors, when appropriate; resolve routine administrative problems and answer inquiries concerning activities and operations of department/division.
3. May answer telephone, route calls, take messages, and provide general information.
4. Performs a range of staff and/or operational support activities; may serve as a liaison with other departments on basic administrative and/or operational matters.
5. May establish, maintain, and updates files, databases, records, and/or other documents; develops and maintains data, and performs routine analyses and calculations in the processing of data for recurring internal reports.
6. May sort, screen, and distribute incoming and outgoing mail; drafts or prepares responses to routine inquiries; prepares photocopies and facsimiles and operates a variety of office equipment.
7. May arrange meetings and conferences, schedules interviews and appointments, and perform other duties related to maintaining one or more individual schedules; take meeting minutes; make travel and lodging arrangements using the MSU Concur Travel System, either directly or through travel agencies.
8. May order, stock, and distribute office supplies, and recruiting materials.
9. Performs basic, routine bookkeeping functions, which may involve simple billing and cash receipt activities.
10. Assist with inventory control through self-audits, State of Mississippi Audits, hand-receipt and acquisition management, and inventory disposal.
11. Submit semi-monthly payrolls and manage timesheets of student workers and staff and acquire necessary signatures and approvals.
12. Process electronic leave in Banner for all faculty, staff, and student workers and finalize in Banner before the end of the month.
13. Assist in the reconciliation of the CSE monthly ProCard statements. Assist with semi-annual ProCard audit preparations.
14. Prepare Direct Pays, etc. for reimbursements to faculty, staff, and students.
11. Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
Education: High School Diploma; Experience: Two (2) years of clerical or office experience. Any equivalent combination of related experience and/or education approved by the Department of Human Resources Management.
1. Experience with the MSU Banner Operating System.
2. Bachelor's degree in accounting or business.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Demonstrated computer literacy skills, using MS Office applications and other basic data
systems including internet navigation, maintenance skills.
• Organizing and coordinating skills.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality of records and information.
• Ability to perform simple accounting procedures.
• Ability to understand and follow specific instructions and procedures.
• Ability to maintain calendars and schedule appointments.
• Ability to create, compose, and edit written materials.
• Knowledge of supplies, equipment, and/or services ordering and inventory control.
• Skill in the use of operating basic office equipment. Ability to communicate effectively,
both orally and in writing.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment.
* No or very limited exposure to physical risk.
* No or very limited physical effort required.
* Vision requirements: Ability to see information in print and/or electronically.
Instructions for Applying:
Link to apply: http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu/
Applicants must apply online at www.msujobs.msstate.edu by submitting a cover letter, resume and provide names and contact information for at least three references.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.
What do I do if I need an accommodation?
In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with Mississippi State University, please contact the Department of Human Resources Management at tel: (662) 325-3713 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any questions regarding this policy, contact the Department of Human Resources Management at (662) 325-3713 or email@example.com. Upon request, sections of this job listing are available in large print, and readers are available to assist the visually impaired.