Manages and coordinates the business operations of Mississippi Agricultural and Forestry Experiment Station (MAFES) Administration. Performs duties required to maintain and administer departmental budgets; administers staff policies and/or procedures; compiles reports; performs administrative procedures. Accounting knowledge is critical to successful function in the position.
Salary Grade: 15
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
Anticipated Appointment Date:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Maintain department/unit budget and provides budgetary reports to senior management within the unit. [This will include the ability to develop queries (Excel or other IT programming tools) for ad hoc reporting.]
2. Coordinates with all MAFES departments to process financial and personnel transactions. Communicates with the Controller’s office, Procurement and Contracts office .Prepare interdepartmental transfers and budget transfers between budgetary units as required.
3. Reconcile and balance financial records with the Controller’s office on a regular basis, audit financial records for accuracy, availability of funds and conformance to University and departmental policy and procedure.
4. Participate in management of federal funds and all associated reporting.
5. Participate in management of state appropriations.
6. May participate in development, implementation and maintenance of policies, objectives, short and long-range planning; develops and implements projects and programs to assist in the accomplishment of established goals.
7. Communicate with staff and all MAFES departments concerning business matters and advise of proper procedures. Stay abreast of University financial and personnel policies and procedures.
8. Participates in the development and implementation of MAFES-wide programs and projects consistent with organizational objectives, contractual arrangements, and/or funding availability.
9. Assists in preparing annual budget based upon previous year's expenses and future requirements.
10. Assist with financial system design.
11. Design and implementation of ad hoc financial and personnel reporting and analysis.
12. Other duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Business Administration, Finance or other appropriate discipline.
Experience: 1 year directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
IT experience (familiarity with programming logic, specifically Crystal Reports query tool)
Bachelors and/or Master's Degree in Accounting
3 years experience.
PageUp System experience
Microsoft products (Excel, Word and PowerPoint)
Knowledge of Federal rules governing expenditures
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Skill in organizing resources and establishing priorities.
• Ability to develop queries (IT programming logic) for ad hoc reporting.
• Ability to foster a cooperative work environment.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
• Knowledge of customer service principles, techniques, systems, and standards.
• Skill in budget management.
• Knowledge of faculty and/or staff hiring procedures.
• Knowledge and understanding of business management principles and practices.
• Skill in the use of personal computers and related software applications.
• Skill using BANNER system.
• Ability to develop and maintain recordkeeping systems and procedures.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
• Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment.
• No or very limited exposure to physical risk.
• No or very limited physical effort required.
• Vision requirements: Ability to see information in print and/or electronically.
Instructions for Applying:
Link to apply: http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu/
Apply online at jobs.msstate.edu. Include cover letter, resume, and contact information for 3 references. If selected for an interview, unofficial transcripts will be required. Any social security numbers on requested transcripts should be redacted.
Questions should be addressed to email@example.com.
February 1, 2023 until filled.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.
What do I do if I need an accommodation?
In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with Mississippi State University, please contact the Department of Human Resources Management at tel: (662) 325-3713 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any questions regarding this policy, contact the Department of Human Resources Management at (662) 325-3713 or email@example.com. Upon request, sections of this job listing are available in large print, and readers are available to assist the visually impaired.