Responsible for supervising the safety and security staff within Housing and Residence Life. This includes recruiting, hiring, training, development, and performance evaluation for direct reports. This position must anticipate the needs and manage the Life Safety/Fire Marshal requirements. Will provide management and overall technical oversight for the fire alarms, fire extinguishers, sprinkler system, mechanical doors, access controls, and cameras/video surveillance equipment for 18 building across Housing. Ensures adequate security coverage and trains all employees who are required to be on call for alarms.
Salary Grade: 15
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
The Department of Housing and Residence Life strives to create a "home away from home" where students are individually and collectively challenged and supported in the journey to become mature, contributing citizens in a global community.
In support of the mission of Mississippi State University and the Division of Student Affairs, the Department of Housing and Residence Life cultivates an on-campus environment that promotes student success, engages students through intentional interactions, and challenges them to learn and grow beyond the classroom.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Establishes uniform system of access control, video surveillance, and physical security systems and hardware for Housing and Residence Life.
2. Researches current trends in technology related to security operations.
3. Coordinates negotiations for best possible maintenance contracts of security systems.
4. Manages and coordinates the work and responsibilities of others by reviewing tasks and inspecting job sites.
5. Conducts semi-annual and annual fire/life safety inspections and manages any deficiencies.
6. Coordinates fire drills with AD for Residence Education and Occupancy Management.
7. Manages fire extinguisher maintenance and inspection program.
8. Serves as the departments liaison for outside agencies including the State Fire Marshal and local fire authorities
9. Develops and administers all related standards, policies and procedures for life safety/security, and ensures compliance.
10. Monitors Housing surveillance systems and alarms.
11. Assists local emergency agencies in locating facilities and providing needed information required in resolving campus emergencies.
12. Maintains records and documentation of work activities, supplies, and equipment for accountability.
13. Communicates with others to keep them informed of activities and answer questions.
14. May investigate and resolve campus security incidents that are reported.
15. Performs other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
2 years’ experience in security enforcement with access control background
An equivalent combination of related education and related experience may be considered for this position.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. Should have a background in understanding fire and life safety equipment, access control and other related technology
2. Ability to troubleshoot technology issues related to electronic security
3. Supervisory experience in a security environment
4. Ability to supervise and train employees
5. Strong interpersonal and communication skills, verbally and written, with a calming tone/nature.
6. Ability to work effectively with a wide range of students/staff/third-party vendors in a diverse community.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
Regularly involves lifting, bending or other physical exertion. Often exposed to one or more elements such as heat, cold, noise, dust, dirt, chemicals, etc., with one often to the point of being objectionable. Injuries may require professional treatment.
Externally imposed deadlines; set and revised beyond one’s control; interruptions influence priorities; difficult to anticipate nature or volume of work with certainty beyond a few days; meeting of deadlines and coordination of unrelated activities are key to position; may involve conflict-resolution or similar interactions involving emotional issues or stress on a regular basis.
Job frequently requires standing, walking, talking, hearing, handling objects with hands, and lifting up to 25 pounds.
Vision requirements: Ability to see information in print and/or electronically.
Instructions for Applying:
Link to apply: http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu/
Applications must be submitted through the Human Resources Management Website at http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu by completing the online application and submitting a cover letter, resume, and three references.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.
What do I do if I need an accommodation?
In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with Mississippi State University, please contact the Department of Human Resources Management at tel: (662) 325-3713 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any questions regarding this policy, contact the Department of Human Resources Management at (662) 325-3713 or email@example.com. Upon request, sections of this job listing are available in large print, and readers are available to assist the visually impaired.