As a Senior Computer Specialist, you will play a crucial role in optimizing and managing our high-performance computing infrastructure to support complex scientific, engineering, and research applications at the Mississippi State University (MSU) High Performance Computing Collaboratory (HPC2). Applicants selected will be subject to a government security investigation and must meet eligibility for access to classified information. Must be a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident.
Salary Grade: 17
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Manage the design, specification, procurement, deployment, and operation of UNIX/Linux-based computing systems, including desktop, server, and high-performance computing (HPC) resources.
2. Create comprehensive documentation for HPC systems, configurations, and troubleshooting procedures. Conduct training sessions for end-users to maximize their utilization of the HPC resources effectively
3. Stay abreast of the latest advancements in HPC technologies, tools, and best practices. Evaluate emerging technologies and recommend strategic improvements to enhance the HPC infrastructure.
4. Oversee the configuration and maintenance of HPC clusters, storage systems, and networking components. Monitor system health, diagnose issues, and implement timely resolutions to minimize downtime.
5. Analyze, benchmark, and fine-tune the HPC environment to achieve optimal performance and throughput for computational and data-intensive tasks. Identify and resolve performance bottlenecks to enhance overall system efficiency.
6. Provide expert guidance and support to researchers, scientists, and engineers in leveraging HPC resources effectively for their computational workloads. Assist in porting, optimizing, and parallelizing code for maximum performance gains.
7. Implement and maintain security protocols to safeguard HPC systems and data. Establish data backup and disaster recovery procedures to protect against potential data loss.
8. Manage software installations, updates, and licenses related to HPC applications and tools. Ensure that relevant software is kept up-to-date with the latest versions and patches.
9. Manage, train, and provide operational oversight of junior-level systems administrators, as well as work with other system administration staff members.
10. Other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering or related field. Any equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
7 years experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
• In-depth knowledge of parallel computing, distributed systems, and cluster architectures.
• Extensive knowledge compiling and supporting open source software.
• Experience with batch queuing systems in a high performance computing environment.
• Experience with C, C++, FORTRAN, Perl, PHP, Python, and Shell programming.
• Working knowledge of SuSE, Redhat and derivative operating systems.
• Working knowledge of networking technologies and services including TCP/IP, DNS, DHCP, PXE, and InfiniBand.
• Experience with high performance computing schedulers and resource management systems such as Slurm, Torque or Moab.
• Extensive working knowledge of Linux software packaging deployment tools.
• Familiarity with high performance computing software and tools, such as MPI, OpenMP, CUDA, and other parallel programming paradigms.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Strong written and oral communication skills.
• Demonstrated ability to understand and document software business rules and requirements using diagrams, written use cases, and user stories.
• Ability to lead and supervise broad teams providing leading edge technical solutions.
• Strong organization skills and the ability to self-direct efforts to complete documentation requirements.
• Ability to use Microsoft products (Word, Excel, Power Point).
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
• Work involves occasional exposure to unusual elements found in a data center workspace, such as confined space, medium noises and lifting of items up to 40 pounds.
• Requires limited lifting of files and records and nearly all work is performed in a comfortable indoor facility.
• Frequent external imposed deadlines; set and revised beyond one’s control; interruptions influence priorities; difficult to anticipate nature or volume of work with certainty beyond a few days; meeting of deadlines and coordination of unrelated activities are key to position; involves conflict-resolution or similar interactions involving emotional issues or stress on a regular basis.
• Job frequently requires walking, sitting, reaching, talking, hearing, handling objects with hands.
Instructions for Applying:
Link to apply: http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu/
Apply online by submitting a cover letter, resume, and a copy of your transcripts. Any social security numbers included on requested transcripts should be redacted prior to submitting online.
We will accept applications only from persons with indefinite employment authorization in the U.S., and will not sponsor for nonimmigrant or immigrant status for this position.
Position is contingent upon continued availability of funding.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.
What do I do if I need an accommodation?
In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with Mississippi State University, please contact the Department of Human Resources Management at tel: (662) 325-3713 or email@example.com.
If you have any questions regarding this policy, contact the Department of Human Resources Management at (662) 325-3713 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Upon request, sections of this job listing are available in large print, and readers are available to assist the visually impaired.