The Administrative Assistant will work to provide administrative support to the department head and administrative office. This position will initiate and coordinate the administrative functions required in effective implementation of administrative policies of the program.
Salary Grade: 11
Please see Staff Compensation Structure for salary ranges.
The Department of Industrial & Systems Engineering is one of the eight academic departments in the Bagley College of Engineering. The Department offers an ABET-accredited bachelor’s program in Industrial Engineering at the Starkville and Engineering on the Coast campus, and online. The Department master’s and doctoral degrees are available at the Starkville campus and online. Student enrollment is approximately 350. The departmental website is https://www.ise.msstate.edu/.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The Administrative Assistant’s responsibilities chiefly fall within the following core functions, although they may perform other tasks as needed.
• Administrative Support for the Department Head.
• Business Office Support
• General Staff Responsibilities
1. Performs a wide variety of clerical duties which could be confidential in nature; operates personal computer to perform basic to complex typing assignments to include: data entry, draft, edit revise and print letters, tables, reports, and other materials.
2. Studies, analyzes, and recommends procedures and processes in order to improve continuity and simplify reporting.
3. Analyzes operating practices such as record keeping systems, office layout and performance standards to create new systems or revise established procedures; remain abreast of trends in administrative operations.
4. Performs a range of staff and/or operational support activities; may serve as a liaison with other departments on basic administrative and/or operational matters.
5. Coordinates collection of and participates in the preparation of operating reports using word processing, spreadsheet, and database software.
6. May arrange meetings and conferences, schedules interviews and appointments, and perform other duties related to maintaining one or more individual schedules; take meeting minutes; make travel and lodging arrangements, either directly or through travel agencies.
7. Gathers data for budget preparation, prepares or assists in the preparation of the annual budget, and procures all supplies, furniture, and office equipment.
8. May instruct and oversee the activities of student employees performing the same type of work.
9. Assists in the generation of summary reports, analyzes for administrator and makes recommendations regarding findings.
10. May resolve routine administrative issues and answer inquiries concerning activities and operations of the department/unit.
11. All other duties as assigned.
Education: High school diploma
Experience (yrs.): 4-6 years Directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
Indicated education is required; no substitutions allowed.
When a candidate has the required education, but lacks the required experience, they may normally apply additional appropriate education toward the experience requirement, at a rate of one (1) year relevant education per year of required experience.
1. Bachelor’s degree in accounting, business, or other relevant major.
2. Experience in fund accounting.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
* Working knowledge of word processing, spreadsheet, and database software packages.
* Working knowledge of Banner, Concur, and PageUp systems.
* Excellent organizational skills.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
* Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment.
* No or very limited exposure to physical risk.
* No or very limited physical effort required.
* Vision requirements: Ability to see information in print and/or electronically.
Instructions for Applying:
All applicants must apply online at http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu and attach a cover letter, current resume, and the complete contact information for at least three professional references.
Position is contingent upon continued availability of funding.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.
What do I do if I need an accommodation?
In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with Mississippi State University, please contact the Department of Human Resources Management at tel: (662) 325-3713 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any questions regarding this policy, contact the Department of Human Resources Management at (662) 325-3713 or email@example.com. Upon request, sections of this job listing are available in large print, and readers are available to assist the visually impaired.